Default ECC fault - all lights on

Hi there - I need some help if you can.

2007/10 XC70 with nearly 100k on the odometer. While out driving a couple of days ago, I noticed that all of the Electronic Climate Control (ECC) lights suddenly came on and remained on.

The lights remain on after the engine is switched off, after the key is removed and after the doors are locked. They go out after 5-10 minutes. [EDIT - this no longer occurs after the lock/unlock reset, see below].

While the car is running, the lights will all remain ON. The air-conditioning control lights remain on although all the buttons seem to cause the correct functions to occur.

All of the lights can be switched OFF by pressing the DEFROSTER WINDSCREEN AND SIDE WINDOWS button twice, or the MAN/AUT button once. Although the lights are off, the action of the ECC is to operate in AUTO mode.

The lights can be switched ON by pressing MAN/AUT twice, or any other button except the AUTO. The MAN/AUT button can also be used to switch off all the lights.

Once the lights have been turned off, the fan speed can be varied and air directed to high/middle/floor using the appropriate buttons.

The responses are the same regardless of whether the key is in the II position, or the car is running.

I tried to lock and unlock the doors five (5) times as suggested elsewhere on the forum, but no improvement. [EDIT] Actually, now the lights go out when the key is removed.

I tried disconnecting the battery, touching the + and - terminals together for 30 seconds, and re-connecting but no change. Note that the car seat memory remained intact. Perhaps there is a different reset method for 2007 vehicles??

In short, it's definitely some sort of control logic fault which I can't seem to reset. The climate control SEEMS to work OK but it's just disconcerting to have all the lights on like a Christmas tree.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

It either needs to be re-calibrated or replaced if calibration makes no change
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Thanks.

So my understanding is that "recalibration" means a trip to the dealer, unless you can point me to instructions on how to do it?

R.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty1234 View Post
    Thanks.

So my understanding is that "recalibration" means a trip to the dealer, unless you can point me to instructions on how to do it?

R.
    What OS are you using and how handy are you around a computer?
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Windows 8.1, Mac OSX and (at a pinch) Linux. Computer-wise, I feel I'm fairly "handy" but I don't have the Volvo diagnostic software. How easy/costly is that path?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty1234 View Post
    Windows 8.1, Mac OSX and (at a pinch) Linux. Computer-wise, I feel I'm fairly "handy" but I don't have the Volvo diagnostic software. How easy/costly is that path?
    You can download the software through a torrent. The DiCE unit will cost anywhere from $80-$125USD, comes with the software (VIDA), and it's totally worth it once you realize what it can do. Search VIDA/DiCE
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
    You can download the software through a torrent. The DiCE unit will cost anywhere from $80-$125USD, comes with the software (VIDA), and it's totally worth it once you realize what it can do. Search VIDA/DiCE
    100% agree. Its the best money anyone can ever spend on their Volvo IMHO.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Folks,

I have a doubt.. in case he needs to replace the module.. the new one needs to be programmed at the car??

Reason I ask is I owned a BMW which has to have the modules programmed with its VIN, otherwise it doesn't work.

If that's the case for VOLVO as well, is VIDA DICE able to do that programming?? If not, is there a way to do that outside of the dealer??

Thanks