Default IPD subframe bushing kit improved handling

2002 V70 XC with 199K miles, originally 158K miles when purchased in Dec. 2013

Background:
    About 3 months after I bought the car with like new tires, it developed a bit of wandering in the steering. Nothing noticeable in terms of tire wear. The wandering wasn't bad, it was just noticeable to me because it wasn't exactly like it was when I bought the car, and it was rock steady when I bought it. I had the suspension gone through about 2 months later and it did need a driver's side lower control arm followed by an alignment, which the replacement of the LCA made no difference in terms of this bit of wandering in the steering. Still the tires looked perfectly normal with light, even wear. FWIW, I drive about 35K miles per year.

Finally about 3 weeks ago I had the IPD poly subframe bushing insert kit installed, and by itself it has made a noticeable difference in how my car tracks. Actually it tracks great and without any wandering, just like it was when I bought it. I understand from reading many posts here over time that there are so many things that can contribute to poor or unpredictable handling. The main reason I wanted to try this kit was to eliminate any play that might come from the subframe bushings, since I can't afford to invest a lot of money on all new suspension parts just to try to make the steering a little better.

I just wanted to give my two cents and to say that for me this kit did make a noticeable difference. I realize it's sort of a band aid in one sense and perhaps my subframe bushings should be replaced at some point, although they didn't look bad when the inserts were installed. For me, this was a cheaper alternative which in my case it didn't affect the alignment when it was done and it did affect the handling in a positive way.

I'm not affiliated with IPD in any way, don't know anyone that is associated with the company. Just sharing my experience with this particular kit.
    Last edited by tmcmilli; 04-28-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tmcmilli View Post
    2002 V70 XC with 199K miles, originally 158K miles when purchased in Dec. 2013

Background:
    About 3 months after I bought the car with like new tires, it developed a bit of wandering in the steering. Nothing noticeable in terms of tire wear. The wandering wasn't bad, it was just noticeable to me because it wasn't exactly like it was when I bought the car, and it was rock steady when I bought it. I had the suspension gone through about 2 months later and it did need a driver's side lower control arm followed by an alignment, which the replacement of the LCA made no difference in terms of this bit of wandering in the steering. Still the tires looked perfectly normal with light, even wear. FWIW, I drive about 35K miles per year.

Finally about 3 weeks ago I had the IPD poly subframe bushing insert kit installed, and by itself it has made a noticeable difference in how my car tracks. Actually it tracks great and without any wandering, just like it was when I bought it. I understand from reading many posts here over time that there are so many things that can contribute to poor or unpredictable handling. The main reason I wanted to try this kit was to eliminate any play that might come from the subframe bushings, since I can't afford to invest a lot of money on all new suspension parts just to try to make the steering a little better.

I just wanted to give my two cents and to say that for me this kit did make a noticeable difference. I realize it's sort of a band aid in one sense and perhaps my subframe bushings should be replaced at some point, although they didn't look bad when the inserts were installed. For me, this was a cheaper alternative which in my case it didn't affect the alignment when it was done and it did affect the handling in a positive way.

I'm not affiliated with IPD in any way, don't know anyone that is associated with the company. Just sharing my experience with this particular kit.
    Do you notice an additional vibration with this kit?
    XC70 2006 with a crappy AW55-51SN trans!

No I can't say that I notice any new vibration at all since the kit was installed.

Quote Originally Posted by monochamus View Post
    Do you notice an additional vibration with this kit?
    I installed this kit when my vehicle was stock as part of a bushing and mount refresh. I didn't notice any extra road or engine vibrations, but also I did not notice any improvement in handling. I feel these bushing inserts would work in one of two situations:
    1) to "bring back to life" worn bushing (which has worked well for tmcmilli)
    2) to complement other suspension/handling modifications.

It would be interesting to test the difference with the IPD sways installed and a lower profile tire.
    Last edited by Antherzoll; 04-28-2015 at 06:20 PM.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

I immediately noticed increased road noise. The car had all 5 engine mounts/torque rods replaced, as well as new Lemforder LCA bushings pressed in, and new OE/OEM suspension on front and back - i.e. the car was superquiet until those inserts were installed. I was so disappointed that did not install the other set of inserts into my XC70 (the car with inserts was wife's V70).

Also there was no improvement in handling, so inserts were pulled out next time I returned to subframe.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)