Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default rubber cylinder shaped pieces in driveshaft keep sliding out and rub/squeak

I read a thread about this a long time ago and can't for the life of me find it using searches so I figured I would create a new post.

There are about 2 of the 6 or so rubber cylinder shaped things inside the end of the driveshaft that keep sliding out and rubbing on the angle gear thing that the driveshaft connects to in the back of the vehicle. When it rubs at slow speed ( < 5mph) it makes a loud squeak noise and is very very annoying. I have tried pushing them back in and putting some gasket sealer to try and hold them in place but they come right back out after driving for a while. I can see where they are rubbing and know for sure they are making the squeak noise by turning the passenger front wheel to turn the driveshaft while I am under the car listening and watching.

I attached a picture and circled / arrowed the rubber pieces location that I am talking about.

Does anyone know if I can just take out the loose ones or replace them? Any ideas as to how I can keep them from sliding back out?

I have never seen anything like this on other vehicle driveshafts so I am not sure why they are even there. I am assuming they help lower vibrations or something but not sure.

Any help or tips would be great, it is very annoying and sounds bad in parking lots and drive through's when going slow.
    2004 Volvo XC70 - Ruby Red - Sand Leather - Premium package - Touring Package - Versatility package - USA Spec Ipod Adapter. - Mudflaps - Euro wing loadbars - 12" Alpine-X sub - 55w 4500K HIDs

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo - All Black - Tinted - 17" rims - silicone hose kit - 3" DP SS turbo back magnaflow exhaust - boost gauge - 13 lbs boost.

1991 Ford Mustang Convertible LX - Triple Black - 306CI V8 - Heads/Cam/Intake/Exhaust - T5z - 4.10 posi

I am experiencing this exact issue. Any updates? Have not been able to find much info. in regards to this problem..................

Thanks

thrashtshafts.com

or something like that

or colorodo drive shafts.

two companies that rebuild them
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

http://www.coloradodriveshaft.com/ is the proper site.
    good guys and quality rebuilt parts.
    Hailing from the Majestic Rocky Mountain High
    RIP 04-08-09

Extras: Bilstein Hd's, Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Rotors, K&N Air Filter
    IPD HD TCV, Stylin Motors Silicone Hoses, Silverstars, 8000k HID Fogs
    It is illegal to get this high in other states.

Need OEM Volvo Parts?
    Call Daryl Waltrip Volvo
    (800) 689-0021
    Ask for Jamie or Don

I don't think the driveshaft needs to be replaced because a couple of these little pieces are sliding out. There is nothing wrong with the driveshaft other than that. This has to be more common, and im sure volvo doesnt just replace the whole unit because of a few rubber pieces sliding out. I know someone on here fixed this same problem before by replacing the rubber pieces or something, not sure since I can't find that old thread. It's driving me crazy still.
    2004 Volvo XC70 - Ruby Red - Sand Leather - Premium package - Touring Package - Versatility package - USA Spec Ipod Adapter. - Mudflaps - Euro wing loadbars - 12" Alpine-X sub - 55w 4500K HIDs

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo - All Black - Tinted - 17" rims - silicone hose kit - 3" DP SS turbo back magnaflow exhaust - boost gauge - 13 lbs boost.

1991 Ford Mustang Convertible LX - Triple Black - 306CI V8 - Heads/Cam/Intake/Exhaust - T5z - 4.10 posi

I agree with "KCO". I can push the little cylinders back into place, but they slide back out within a day or so.

Has anyone repaired without rebuilding the drive shaft??

As ghetto as it sounds, I am thinking about using liquid nail or a similar product........

This is common on Haldex systems. Just push them back and also add a dip of slicone on it and ill be fine.
    [2002 V70 XC] Venetian Red Metallic/Blk Leather*33k+ miles
    -Hands-Free Phone Set, all packages except Nav.
    Turbocharger replaced April/2005 under warranty.

[1991 245] Metallic Blue/Blue Leather*175k+ miles my daily beater.
    [1994 854 GLT] *141K+ miles

Member of Volvo High Mileage Club and the miles keeps ROLLING!!

I checked Vadis on this, and there is NO parts breakdown for driveshaft parts.....it shows the shaft as an assembly; it doesn't even show the center bearing as being separate.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedXC View Post
    This is common on Haldex systems. Just push them back and also add a dip of slicone on it and ill be fine.
    I tried that with some RTV silicone, it didn't hold them. Any other type of glue or liquid I could use that would hold them?

Quote Originally Posted by KC04XC70 View Post
    I tried that with some RTV silicone, it didn't hold them. Any other type of glue or liquid I could use that would hold them?
    You might try ShoeGoo. It is a product like silicon glue, but seems tougher, that is made to repair the soles of tennis shoes.
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast