Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Third seat removal to access gas tank

I must be missing something. How do I remove the third seat panel?

Several months ago the local gas station supreme tank-vent clogged up and I got 5 gallons of water into my XC tank before I noticed the $ moving slow. They were good about it and the car runs great but the "low fuel" light doesn't work anymore. We don't usually let it get that low anyway but, I'm not the primary driver. Needless to say we ran out of gas and I would like to get the light working again. The local guys said there was not access from inside the car but I found two access panels on the right hand side under the third seat floor just behind the middle seat.

I've tried searching the forum but it seems removing the third seat is so easy nobody gives any details and I'm afraid of breaking something...
    00 V70XC AWD moondust 199K
    08 F250 4X4 gold suprcab 70K
    VCOA

Just lift each panel up 90 degrees and pull up
    They just drop in the slots

That works for the seat but the seat-back panel is very securely attached.
    Last edited by methos; 09-01-2008 at 06:41 PM.
    VCOA

If I recall, it really does come right out

I went out and tried it again. Here is a picture, I hope <:
    VCOA

Well don't pull on it any harder than what you have done already, as you've been given putridly wrong advice. Listen to someone who actually owns a XC(me) that has installed his own 3rd row seat.

http://www.geocities.com/ozbrick850/...rdSeatInst.pdf

Look at diagrams #3a, #8, #34. The seatback has two metal tabs on each side that is bolted down. Remove the bolts first!

That is for P2 cars.
    let me look at the seat I have on the floor and see if it does have any and if so how many bolts it has

Again, incorrect. That PDF document applies to 850 Wagons as well as V70 models up to and including the 2000 model year.

Here is another DIY how-to:

http://www.geocities.com/ozbrick850/rearseat/index.html

"There are two bolts each side near the hinge ends, remove both the left and right side cargo covers and the four bolts should be in plain view. Remove, label them and put away safely...... You can now refit the the backrest into the car, get the four bolts you labeled and safely put away earlier refitting is just the reverse of removal."

Quote Originally Posted by methos View Post
    I must be missing something. How do I remove the third seat panel?

Several months ago the local gas station supreme tank-vent clogged up and I got 5 gallons of water into my XC tank before I noticed the $ moving slow. They were good about it and the car runs great but the "low fuel" light doesn't work anymore. We don't usually let it get that low anyway but, I'm not the primary driver. Needless to say we ran out of gas and I would like to get the light working again. The local guys said there was not access from inside the car but I found two access panels on the right hand side under the third seat floor just behind the middle seat.

I've tried searching the forum but it seems removing the third seat is so easy nobody gives any details and I'm afraid of breaking something...
    I'm a little bleary on the event details here...Did someone work on your car?
    If so, did they put your sensor out of commision? (Sounds like they should fix it!)
    And I think your local guys may have a good point about access.
    If I'm right, the access covers are for the gas tank in FWD cars.

BTW...Where are you in Alaska? Just curious...

'98 " Last of the Good Ones!" V70 R
    Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -

My memory might be a bit foggy, but I'm pretty sure there isn't really anything to access through those access ports other than the fuel filter & some wiring harnesses. The fuel level sender, IIRC, is mount on the front left corner of the tank, well away from these ports.

Any repairs will require dropping the rear subframe & tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast