Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spark plugs

Default spark plugs

thinking i should maybe replace plugs. what do you guys recommend? have you had experience with your recommendation?

'00 v70 xc se

in my search it seems that some ngk, bosch and volvo plugs are the best. can the volvo plugs only be obtained at a dealer or also indy shops?

what is the typical service interval? i now have 80k.

Default One Question

Do you have your XC modified greatly? If you do, don't go OEM. If it's stock or modified slightly go OEM. You won't go wrong. http://fcpgroton.com/ These guys will likely have the cheapest OEM plugs.
    98 XC70 150k : 2006 XC90 (In the family)
    83 245DL 172k : 2006 S60 (also not mine)
    95 855 GLT 138k

Volvo brand spark plugs are avilable through the dealer or a specalist shop.

I would go for bosch since they do make good ignition components. Just my opinion.
    [2002 V70 XC] Venetian Red Metallic/Blk Leather*33k+ miles
    -Hands-Free Phone Set, all packages except Nav.
    Turbocharger replaced April/2005 under warranty.

[1991 245] Metallic Blue/Blue Leather*175k+ miles my daily beater.
    [1994 854 GLT] *141K+ miles

Member of Volvo High Mileage Club and the miles keeps ROLLING!!

hey
    ok i changed my spark plugs on my 99 volvo XC
    the problem is, that it makes this "ticking" or "knocking" noise everytime i drive the car and start it up
    the dealer said that its nuthing and that its juss the car getting old and its normal
    question: could it be the quality of the spark plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by azn_renegade View Post
    hey
    the problem is, that it makes this "ticking" or "knocking" noise everytime i drive the car and start it up
    the dealer said that its nuthing and that its juss the car getting old and its normal
    Or is it your engine mount?

Quote Originally Posted by azn_renegade View Post
    hey
    "Ticking (lifters) can be normal for a Volvo with miles, "Knocking" is not. Which is it?
    Change your oil much more frequently and add a can of Lucas valve additive, can work wonders

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Change your oil much more frequently and add a can of Lucas valve additive, can work wonders
    What does the additive do specifically, just help protect everything? Or does it help with gummy valves or something?

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhipdefuser View Post
    What does the additive do specifically, just help protect everything? Or does it help with gummy valves or something?
    The Lucas stuff does a GREAT job at loosening sticky lifters.
    I'm not saying it works on all the cars all the time but we (and others) have had generally very good luck using it.
    Can't hurt anything, try it, it can work!
    Change the oil and add a bottle and see if it helps after a few hundred miles...

Products like STP and Lubrimoly are polymers that sometimes can quiet sticky valves. However, the large molecules break down over time due to shearing losing effectiveness, but I have never read any credible report suggesting that they are in any way harmful - you just might not get the desired result.

There are also products that dissolve deposits on sticky valves, freeing them. I think that this is the kind of product JRL has referenced. I used some in an older car last year, and within minutes, the knocking valve was quiet. In addition to changing your oil before you add the product, it would make sense to change it again fairly soon afterwards, as your oil will likely contain all the deposits that were gumming up the valves.
    2004 XC70 43K Silver over Graphite, Premium and Cold Weather packages.
    2001 V70 XC, 93K, 08/01 build in Torslanda, Sweden, stock except for K&N. Gone but not forgotten.
    1995 850 Turbo - great ride with 225K, not mine any more
    2004 XC90 - it's gone
    1993 850 GLT - not really missed
    1986 GMC Suburban 2500, 454 V8 - for pulling really heavy things.
    VCOA

Quote Originally Posted by volvoshad View Post
    it would make sense to change it again fairly soon afterwards, as your oil will likely contain all the deposits that were gumming up the valves.
    Agree with this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast