Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Thud At 55 MPH

Queens, New York City, United States Of America

Thats what I had done, just the tranny fluid change, and I used castrol dex 3 syntec. I heard the same thing about tranny flushes, that it can do damage, only when the car is like new, its not bad. But even when you drain the fluid, not all of the fluid comes out, that what a friend told me, so when you fill it with new fluid till its leveled, it mixes with the old fluid.
    TyranT
    2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S CVT
    HID 6000k,LED'S 20% tint
    2000 Volvo V70XC AWD (SOLD)
    HID Lows/Fogs 6000k, 50%/35% tint, Dual Exhaust, Speedtuning ECU upgrade
    1997 Volvo 965 - 50%/35% tint
    1997 Nissan Altima HID 6000k/ Intake

Tyrant, the mechanic told me the same thing your friend told you.

Queens, New York City, United States Of America

Whats funny is his name is mike too
    TyranT
    2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S CVT
    HID 6000k,LED'S 20% tint
    2000 Volvo V70XC AWD (SOLD)
    HID Lows/Fogs 6000k, 50%/35% tint, Dual Exhaust, Speedtuning ECU upgrade
    1997 Volvo 965 - 50%/35% tint
    1997 Nissan Altima HID 6000k/ Intake

Gee, I never really cared how many gears my car had...haha. Oh well.
    Last edited by coolwhipdefuser; 01-23-2007 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhipdefuser View Post
    Gee, I never really cared how many gears my car had...haha. Oh well.
    OK for all who care.
    I just got this from THE source at Volvo.
    Everyone's right and everyone is wrong.
    There WAS a running change during the production run of 2000 Volvo LPT turbos as AisinWarner was converting over to 5 speeds, Volvo AND Toyotas both.
    There is no VIN break, it just happened somewhere after the 1st of the year.
    There could be two cars in line one would get a 4 speed, one a 5 speed, it was up to the plant foreman which cars got what transmission until somewhere in the spring when ALL the LATE production cars were supposed to be built with 5 speeds.
    However as I understood properly what I was told, even then (late production) there were a few 4 speed wagons built if they found some leftover transmissions around!

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    OK for all who care.
    I just got this from THE source at Volvo.
    Everyone's right and everyone is wrong.
    There WAS a running change during the production run of 2000 Volvo LPT turbos as AisinWarner was converting over to 5 speeds, Volvo AND Toyotas both.
    There is no VIN break, it just happened somewhere after the 1st of the year.
    There could be two cars in line one would get a 4 speed, one a 5 speed, it was up to the plant foreman which cars got what transmission until somewhere in the spring when ALL the LATE production cars were supposed to be built with 5 speeds.
    However as I understood properly what I was told, even then (late production) there were a few 4 speed wagons built if they found some leftover transmissions around!
    Makes good sense...thanks for the info JRL.

JRL,

Thanks for the interesting bit of info.
    When I took my xc in for THE THUD, the mechanic entered my vin into the computer to check for upgrades.
    The computer listed it as an Asian-Warner 55-50 which the mechanic said is a 4 speed with a 5th. gear overdrive.
    Is this considered a 5 speed by Volvo?

[quote=i roll;70325]JRL,

When I took my xc in for THE THUD, the mechanic entered my vin into the computer to check for upgrades.
    The computer listed it as an Asian-Warner 55-50 which the mechanic said is a 4 speed with a 5th. gear overdrive.
    Is this considered a 5 speed by Volvo?[/quote]

YES, you should have a 5 speed. Bear in mind the computer can be wrong.
    How does your shift pattern read out?

Quote Originally Posted by i roll View Post
    Hi Steven,

Yes the pressure is caused by the machine that flushes it through the transmission.
    Mike said he would recommend against flushing because it has 85,000 miles. He said the pressure could damage the pressure plates and also could cause the transmission to slip. Mike said a few additional things that were way too advanced for me to understand.
    So he drained and refilled it.
    Since I don't know squat about cars, I didn't argue with him.

i roll,
    Glad to hear your Volvo problem has been fixed!

What Mike did sounds appropriate however I would still go for the full ATF flush. The Volvo Service Bulletin and www.ipdusa.com both have instructions (ipd has a kit also) how to flush without the machine, thus without the pressure. If you are comfortable changing your own oil, you can easily do it yourself in less than an hour. I suspect mechanics prefer the machine because it flushes all the fluid with a single flick of a switch. The other method requires starting and stopping the car engine about seven times and manually adding two quarts at a time between engine stop and starts.
    However, there are a few reasons not to flush you transmission:
    -Do not flush it if there is a possibility of introducing dirt. Cleanliness is very important.
    -On very, very worn transmissions, new fluid may cause a transmission to slip more because you are removing the old dirty fluid that had maintained some friction between the plates. (I do not believe 85,000mi on a Volvo is high enough mileage to be worried much about this unless a previous owner really screwed things up)
    -If money is tight now it probably will not make much difference if you waited a little while.
    -My day job is not as a mechanic...so I may be wrong.
    Steven
    2007 XC90 V8
    1998 V70XC
    1992 245

[QUOTE=JRL;70348]
    Quote Originally Posted by i roll View Post
    JRL,

Is this considered a 5 speed by Volvo?[/quote]

YES, you should have a 5 speed. Bear in mind the computer can be wrong.
    How does your shift pattern read out?
    JRL,

I posted this pic near the beginning of this thread when we were debating whether any 2000 had 4 speeds.
    Here it is again.
    Looks like I have shift pattern for a 4 speed even though I have a 5 speed.
    Gosh, am I confused.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast