Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Window tinting questions

My XC came with feebly light (for my taste) tint in the back passenger and cargo area glass. I'm guessing it's maybe 50% VLT. I've got a roll of good quality 20% VLT tint and the experience of having previously tinted two vehicles with good result. I'm preparing to tackle the project, hopefully tomorrow, but have come up against an unexpected issue.

On close inspection of my factory-tinted windows I find that they don't appear to have any film on the inner surface. I was expecting to strip off the factory tint before installing the new, darker film, but now am unsure what to do.

Does anyone know if there is, in fact, a removable factory tint film on these windows? Can anyone tell me what percent VLT the factory tinted windows have? Is there anyone with first or secondhand experience having Volvo tinted windows re-tinted a darker shade?

I realize I'm one of a very few XC owners on the site who appreciate a subtly pimped ride, but I'm hoping the concept of window tinting may be mainstream enough to draw a response or two. After I get this project behind me I'll be back with an inquiry regarding the best industrial adhesive to use when installing imitation leopard fur on my dash.

-Todd

'06 XC70, Black/Graphite: Prem/Conv/Clim Packages, Bi-Xenon, Privat Sekt 18", 235/50 Goodrich G-Force, Hidden Hitch, Thule Evo
    '05 S60R , Black Sapphire metallic/Atacama: 6 speed manual, 20% vlt tint, 17" Pegs, iPod
    '03 BMW K1200GT, Metallic Silver-Green: Z-Technic exhaust & chip, 141+ bhp, bling, bling, bling--too much to list
    "Lose the pants!" Utilikilt.com

Be careful of your state and local laws. NH troopers get trigger fingers when they can't see in the windows. MY X/C is used as livery so I can get away with it. Just the back windows though, also, your radio antenna is back there on the drivers side big window in the wayback, I noticed that diminished reception due to the tinting....

Joliet Jake Blues

Unhappy hummmmmm

I think you will find the factory tint is sandwiched between the glass sheets and therefore non-removable, if you want to over tint becareful, because of what you have left in the way of light/darkening - also local law variants. If you want a neat jobs on the back side windows (cargo section) go for the roller blinds, it does the same sort of thing but your back window will still be visible from the outside.

Driving at night with dark tinting causes a few problems with seeing objects like cycles or car park bollards, just my thoughts.

I haven't had any problems with the local (or state for that matter) constables over the degree of tint, but I think they're a little more tolerant here in the sunshine state. I also haven’t noticed any reduction in radio station reception either. I will have to admit backing up at night can be tricky, so I just roll down the windows and use the mirrors to maneuver.

Todd – when you get the leopard fur on the dash, post some pictures! I have some extra steering wheel and mirror fur if you need some.
    Mike
    Bluegrass-XC
    (Somewhere on the Space Coast)

2000 V70 SE Cross Country
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer 4x4 (in Blazer Heaven)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Thumbs up

I agree that Volvo put's light tint on their cars. Granted I have a '01 with just the UV. Anyway, I have 20% on all but the windshield. I have had no noticable issues with radio reception, but backing up at night and in the rain has drawbacks. It makes me want to add lighting. I have had no problems with any law enforcement and my wagon, I wish I could say the same about my wifes Jetta (that could be due to speeding also). I will say this, the car cools off faster and I don't have to run the AC full blast in the summer with the tint.

I have had almost every car I owned tinted, some of which already had 'factory' tint (780). If you are good at it or have a good shop install it, there are little problems with matching the shade.

Just put a BAMA or Roll-Tide sticker on your car and the cops won't bother you!

I would love to see the fur dash when you get done! Maybe a shag headliner too!
    Volvodad3

2001 V70 XC (my daily)
    117k and counting!
    Ash Gold/Sand
    Loaded! minus Nav, 3rd seat and Premium stereo.
    Scorpion's
    Cross Bars
    Tint (not an official 'mod')

99.5 VW Jetta TDi (Hers)
    2002 GMC Savanna 3500 (Work)
    93 Cadillac Eldorado (gone, but still in the family)

... and don't forget the wheel-spinners and under-belly lighting

John R
    '07 XC70 D5 6Spd
    was
    '03 XC90 T6 (13mpg )

Quote Originally Posted by AWD*V70XC View Post
    I think you will find the factory tint is sandwiched between the glass sheets and therefore non-removable, if you want to over tint becareful, because of what you have left in the way of light/darkening - also local law variants. If you want a neat jobs on the back side windows (cargo section) go for the roller blinds, it does the same sort of thing but your back window will still be visible from the outside.

Driving at night with dark tinting causes a few problems with seeing objects like cycles or car park bollards, just my thoughts.
    I was also thinking that the factory tint was somehow done using colored glass when a Volvo salesperson told be that the factory tinted windows are in fact dipped in "paint". Does that mean you can damage the tinting by scratching the glass? Anyone done that (by accident I assume)?
    '07 Volvo XC70 D5 Geartronic
    Electric silver, Black leather
    Xenia wheels, Rear tinted windows
    Bi-Xenon and more...
    ----------------------------------
    '04 Volvo XC70 2.5T Geartronic
    Ash Gold Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Volvodad3 View Post
    Just put a BAMA or Roll-Tide sticker on your car and the cops won't bother you!
    Not here in the panhandle!!! 'Bama stickers draw cops like stink on ______!
    Mike
    Bluegrass-XC
    (Somewhere on the Space Coast)

2000 V70 SE Cross Country
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer 4x4 (in Blazer Heaven)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass-XC View Post
    Not here in the panhandle!!! 'Bama stickers draw cops like stink on ______!
    War Eagle!

Quote Originally Posted by MatsJoha View Post
    I was also thinking that the factory tint was somehow done using colored glass when a Volvo salesperson told be that the factory tinted windows are in fact dipped in "paint". Does that mean you can damage the tinting by scratching the glass? Anyone done that (by accident I assume)?
    I have kids, and they were small(er) and didn't know better: My kids ran Hotwheels and Transformers on my windows before I had them tinted (on the 780). The glass was marked a little bit but nothing done to the factory UV.

I wouldn't believe a car salesman if my life depended on it.

When the glass is made (like almost all cars to my understanding) there is a UV sheet/coating that is added in the glass when it is formed. That also helps the glass to not shatter when it's broken. I could be wrong.
    Volvodad3

2001 V70 XC (my daily)
    117k and counting!
    Ash Gold/Sand
    Loaded! minus Nav, 3rd seat and Premium stereo.
    Scorpion's
    Cross Bars
    Tint (not an official 'mod')

99.5 VW Jetta TDi (Hers)
    2002 GMC Savanna 3500 (Work)
    93 Cadillac Eldorado (gone, but still in the family)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast