Quote Originally Posted by Iroll_ View Post
Pardon Astro. I'll be sure to add the RTV sealant.
My original intent was to just replace my front CV joint axles ( Passanger and driver)...
After looking at several parts diagrams, I figured it would be prudent to change the seals in the angle gear and transmission side of the CV shaft
At the moment, the angle gear is dry and my AWD appears to work as intended...Do you think resealing the angle gear and also replacing the coupling is overkill for a simple CV axle replacement?
I’ll answer the question first - if the angle gear is dry, then, no it’s not urgent. Mine was always “damp”. So, I rebuilt it with new seals, chamfered the edge, etc. But I’m glad I did it and added the drain plug. So easy now to change that oil, that I almost laugh...

I do recommend doing it, at your car’s age, not for leaks, but to take a look at the collar sleeve. Read through my write up, you’ll see how bad mine was. Worked OK, but rusty and worn.

Don’t use RTV!!! RTV sucks and will leak. You need an anaerobic sealant. Nothing like an RTV in function or chemistry. This anaerobic sealant is what Volvo used and specs on the angle gear, on the oil sump (oil pan) and cylinder head.

Easy enough to change the driver side oil seal on the transmission, but they rarely leak.

Heads up, though, that driver side axle is a PITA to break loose. It’s retained by an internal snap ring that is corroded and jammed by now. BFH and cold chisel are recommended. Axle poppers just don’t work. Leverage doesn’t work. I’ve done three. On one car, I gave up and took it to the dealer. Seriously.

Passenger side is a piece of cake. It’ll slide right out. It’s retained by the bearing retainer bolted to the block. Easy.