Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stuttering braking and pull to left

One of the several little issues I have been trying to deal with recently is a stuttering when slowly coming to a stop. It is only noticeable when the car is warm, and only as I come to a stop, not when braking hard. My mechanic has replaced a bad bearing and a broken ring that was throwing ABS Anti-skid warnings, but these seem to be unrelated as I still have the problem. I also notice the car pulls to the left a bit, when driving not just braking. It is subtle but there. Any ideas? Tire pressures are OK, tires are only a year old, brake pads, rotors and calipers new about 2 years ago. Could it be a control arm bushing? He said they looked fine but I wonder, because I don't think they have ever been replaced in 10 years.
    Thanks
    05 XC70 Titanium Edition
    2012 BMW X1
    2002 Subaru Outback Sport (retired)

When is the last time you had it aligned?
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Don't recall, but not recently. Probably a good idea, but would that account for the stuttering braking too?
    05 XC70 Titanium Edition
    2012 BMW X1

Shuttering when braking.... well, wobbling when braking could be a bad ball joint. Can you tell which wheel is shuddering?

A general pull to one side could be poor alignment. If the pull comes and goes, I would look at the control arms. Always nice to lube the brake calipers and check on the brake system but it sounds like you have a control arm issue...

Ancient well worn tires can do all sorts of strange things, even if they "look good". You could swap front/back to see if it changes the behavior.

Why don't you have a GOOD mechanic go over the front end for starters, align it if nothing needs replacing.
    If you have worn parts, replace them then align it.

Have the wheels and tires checked carefully, balanced, and the brakes and rotors checked.
    This is basic sh*t to do, learn about your car

Your year and MILEAGE would help here!
    (and BTW, what the hell does "stuttering" braking supposed to be?)
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Oh shiiiitttt, he's coming out with both barrels blazing again!

jk

I think it's best to bring it to a good shop that specializes in steering and suspension and ask them to diagnose the problems. Most of the times it would be free to check. They would give you a quote for worn parts which is what you wanna know.
    2002 V70XC Cross Country 178k (km)
    young stubborn guy with his wagon
    Service Logs: http://tinyurl.com/o9fld84

Thanks folks. I think I will take it to another shop I have used and trust to see what is going on. There could very well be a combination of issues given the age of the car (it does say 2005 in my sig), although only 135k km. By stuttering, I mean it feels like something is out of round, or gripping and letting go. I can't isolate to any particular wheel, but it is only noticeable at slow braking when warmed up.
    05 XC70 Titanium Edition
    2012 BMW X1

Know the brand of last rotor+pad replacement? Cheap rotors and pads often make terrible braking feel. Recently experienced a combination that had uneven braking force.

You mentioned caliper was replaced, why and which ones?
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post
    Know the brand of last rotor+pad replacement? Cheap rotors and pads often make terrible braking feel. Recently experienced a combination that had uneven braking force.

You mentioned caliper was replaced, why and which ones?
    I had a stuck caliper a couple of years ago which resulted in some damage, so he replaced both front sets (rotors, pads, calipers) at the same time as they were due. Not sure what rotors, but he used a European ceramic pad. He normally uses OEM or good quality parts. This problem only started a few months ago. When I had it in last time he said everything looked OK but I'm going to another shop next week for a check over and alignment.
    05 XC70 Titanium Edition
    2012 BMW X1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast