Thumbs up Remote Starter in a 03 XC90, yes it can be done!

JUST A WARNING IN CAPS!!!! YOU DONT KNOW WTF YOU DOING, DONT DO IT. HAVE A PRO INSTALL IT AND IF IT EFFS UP, THEY RESPONSIBLE. SRS WARNING MAY COME ON IF NOT DONE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR NOTHING

remote start is easy.
    #1 question is who is doing the install?

Pro or Novice??

Pro Installers still dont know WTF they are doing in this car. LOL
    If There are issues, PM me for contact info to call me if help is needed with the install.
    Here's how it is done.

12volts at bottom of fuse box
    ignition blue/red
    ignition 2 keysense wire yellow
    accesory blue
    accesory 2 purple
    door lock pueple/white in drivers door module
    door unlock blue white in drivers door module
    door triggers use under dash light white wire
    parking lights yellow wire under fuse box
    tach blue/white @ engine coil packs
    brake yellow at pedal

there's the basics, my led is installed under hazzard switch

sirius satellite is done via high powered FM modulator in the left rear. the radio module is actually above the rear third row seats, take the panel off in the rear roof and its there, you can do a hard wired FM modulator there. make power connections int the left rear for constant, ignition, and grounds.

forgot to mention that there is a bluetooth unit installed too. this is pretty trick, its a motorola IHF1000, wired up to the center channel speaker sounds good!

For the imobolizer, its done via a key in the box example Dei 556u
    I did a Compustar Pro Two Way Spread Spectrum Alarm Remote Starter.

Here's a shot of my install....Look its running with no Messages and key in the ignition!! Check out the LED location!

1998 Olive Green V70 T5 Manual - 155k Awesome car http://tinyurl.com/85mh7z3
    2003 Nautic Blue XC90 T6 3rd tranny - 162k Modded http://tinyurl.com/74pwukq
    2001 Nautic Blue C70 T5 Manual - 92k Not stock at all http://tinyurl.com/75zhepq
    Past Volvo's 94 855T+Manual,95 850GLT,97 850R BTCC Replica,98 850NA,99 XC70

Default XC90 R/S wiring

I made an attempt to install a Ready Remote 24921 to my 2005 XC90 but unfortunately triggered the SRS light. I did not hook up the BLUE wire like other forums did. I did not know what caused it. On the other hand, it would only start with the key in the ignition. I have a TBXKEY (replacement for 556U)for the immobilizer but I think the antenna loop does not work well. I wrapped it around the immobilizer but no luck.

I hooked up the Violet wire of the TBXKEY to the Yellow (keysense). Do I have to splice this into the IGN2 as well? Can I splice the loop antenna wire into the cylinder? Which one are they? There are 6 wires that connect below the ignition cylinder immobilizer. What was your hook up like on the 556U? I do not have the lock/unlock hooked up...does this matter?

Thank you!

what do you do on a daily basis? i mean as a source of income?
    2001 Nautic Blue C70 T5 Manual - 92k Not stock at all http://tinyurl.com/75zhepq

I am a train mechanic with average electrical background. This is my first install on a European vehicle. I've installed 6 on domestic vehicles without immobilizers..no problems whatsoever.

I don't understand the relevance of your question?

Quote Originally Posted by sandog View Post
    I am a train mechanic with average electrical background. This is my first install on a European vehicle. I've installed 6 on domestic vehicles without immobilizers..no problems whatsoever.

I don't understand the relevance of your question?

Not to sound like a ass, but it will.

I would not dare work on a train. Leave the remote starters and car electronics to the In Car Experts.

If you are not sure of what you are doing, YOU WILL cause more problems than you think. I do this stuff every day all day except sundays. ASE cert does not automatically give you MECP certs, alot of mechanics think that i am wrong. So i prove it to them everyday.

I had to take three different tech sheets to make my car remote start correctly. Depending on where the info is coming from, it will probably be missing one or two wires to be energized. DO NOT MESS WITH THE OEM IMMOBILIZER. you probably do not have the key sense energized and one or more acc/ign lines. This is why i guaranteed a SRS-service light when someone attempts this car without a scan tool to reset it.

My advice, take it to someone to finish the install correctly. good luck

"Thank you" for your advice and you are an ass like you said! I don't think this forum is for putting down someone who is asking for answers to a simple question.

Instruction sheets are made by people, they make mistakes and are subject to interpretation. It is only after you follow it that you realize it could have been done another way. I am not perfect like you. We are here to share experiences and help others be successful. If you are here to help those who need it...then help. Keep personal opinions to yourself.

On a lighter note, I finish what I start!

Quote Originally Posted by sandog View Post
    "Thank you" for your advice and you are an ass like you said! I don't think this forum is for putting down someone who is asking for answers to a simple question.

Instruction sheets are made by people, they make mistakes and are subject to interpretation. It is only after you follow it that you realize it could have been done another way. I am not perfect like you. We are here to share experiences and help others be successful. If you are here to help those who need it...then help. Keep personal opinions to yourself.

On a lighter note, I finish what I start!
    no one is putting you down. Like kenny rogers said, know when to hold em, know when to fold em. Assholes are like opinions, everyone has one.

WHat you think is a simple answer, is not. This car is not simple nor, can you expect someone to "tech support you" on a forum. thats simple a dumb thing to expect.

You thing a remote start is a DIY, it is not. I am the In Car Expert, i am a ass because i know WTF i am talking about when it comes to In Car Electronics. I cant tell you how to repair a train, would you expect me to?

Basic in car electronics install are simple. Ive installed remote starters in several of my previous cars, including a Tahoe, Mazda RX-8, and a Land Rover. All of them were straight forward and i never had a single issue out of any of them.

Funny story:
    i first took my Land Rover to one of the best ICE shops in Atlanta to have a compustar installed. The technichian took 2 days to do it, and wound up frying the computer and alarm module. The shop got to tow it to Land Rover and pay $2500 to have them replaced. The tech finally got the alarm to work and start the car, and when it did finally start, he forgot he'd left a nice long screw driver sitting on the intake, which rolled on to the fan, destroying the fan, belt, radiator, and trans cooler. This time the tech got to foot the $2000 bill from land rover.

After all that, the alarm quit starting the car 2 weeks later. I ripped the whole system out, reinstalled it much more cleanly than the tech had, and it ran great for 5 years.

ICE is not that hard to install if you are intelligent and have a basic understanding of electrical. I feel it is also crucial to work slowly and diligently to do a good install.

That being said, I am not gonna mess with the alarm on the XC90. It seems pretty complicated, and ICE just doesn't seem as cool to me any more.

I finally got the alarm all working as advertised with just the simple functions...with patience you don't need an ICE to do the job. Road1will...you're correct to work slow and diligent and I only used 2 tech sheets...one for the alarm and the other for the TBXKEY. The by-pass antenna was very sensitive. I tried so many positions before it worked.

Now, on to have the SRS reset by a friend at the Volvo shop...

Thanks to everyone!

Default help on immolizer install

hi... i need help install the 556u attenna ring... do u tap into the car wire or just tape the ring on the ignition ring? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gshadow325 View Post
    JUST A WARNING IN CAPS!!!! YOU DONT KNOW WTF YOU DOING, DONT DO IT. HAVE A PRO INSTALL IT AND IF IT EFFS UP, THEY RESPONSIBLE. SRS WARNING MAY COME ON IF NOT DONE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR NOTHING

remote start is easy.
    #1 question is who is doing the install?

Pro or Novice??

Pro Installers still dont know WTF they are doing in this car. LOL
    If There are issues, PM me for contact info to call me if help is needed with the install.
    Here's how it is done.

12volts at bottom of fuse box
    ignition blue/red
    ignition 2 keysense wire yellow
    accesory blue
    accesory 2 purple
    door lock pueple/white in drivers door module
    door unlock blue white in drivers door module
    door triggers use under dash light white wire
    parking lights yellow wire under fuse box
    tach blue/white @ engine coil packs
    brake yellow at pedal

there's the basics, my led is installed under hazzard switch

sirius satellite is done via high powered FM modulator in the left rear. the radio module is actually above the rear third row seats, take the panel off in the rear roof and its there, you can do a hard wired FM modulator there. make power connections int the left rear for constant, ignition, and grounds.

forgot to mention that there is a bluetooth unit installed too. this is pretty trick, its a motorola IHF1000, wired up to the center channel speaker sounds good!

For the imobolizer, its done via a key in the box example Dei 556u
    I did a Compustar Pro Two Way Spread Spectrum Alarm Remote Starter.

Here's a shot of my install....Look its running with no Messages and key in the ignition!! Check out the LED location!