Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I've found some wiring diagrams for the v70, so I'm hoping to locate the general area of the evap temp sensor by following the appropriate wires from the terminal blocks at the back of the CCM. Will report back my findings.

The complete wiring diagrams (including component locations, wire looms etc) have been available for
    a while in 2003 or 2004. It it a pdf file too large for most email servers. Should you be interested, I can
    upload it somewhere on the web and post the link here so you can download it. Just let me know
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Found a couple more schematics that might help. On the expanded parts view the sensor is part #15.
    2001 Cross Country SE
    140,000 kms

"Write a clever saying and your name will live forever"

Anon.

From that first diagram it looks like for a RHD car the sensor is on the top of the evaporator. I wonder if it is accessible by removing the speaker on the top of the dashboard ?

I've removed the dashboard speaker grill (surprised to find no speaker!), but there is no access to the top of the evaporator from there, so may very well be a dashboard out job!

Andrew, what resistance do you get across the new temp sensor ? I can at least access the wires in the terminal block - the brown and violet wires (according to the wiring diagram).

Quote Originally Posted by timh View Post
    From that first diagram it looks like for a RHD car the sensor is on the top of the evaporator. I wonder if it is accessible by removing the speaker on the top of the dashboard ?

Quote Originally Posted by timh View Post
    I've removed the dashboard speaker grill (surprised to find no speaker!)
    This is where a subwoofer is to be housed (or the navigator display).
    Only the more "advanced" audio systems have one.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    This is where a subwoofer is to be housed (or the navigator display).
    Only the more "advanced" audio systems have one.
    Willy
    Thanks Willy - I'd always thought there was a speaker there, but I only have the HU-603 model.

I finally tackled the issue of replacing the evap temp sensor on my RHD V70 at the weekend, so can hopefully provide some pointers to others.

Initially I followed the Vadis instructions for removing the dashboard - not that difficult, but very time consuming (about 3hrs steady going). Upon removal I was able to confirm the sensor is located at the top of the evaporator (by viewing through the air vents), but even with the dashboard removed it still was hidden under the wiring loom/top of evaporator and not accessible. I really didn't want to go removing the whole loom/evaporator.

At this point I decided to go to plan B, which was to replicate the LHD location and make a hole in the plastic casing of the evaporator (in drivers footwell) and run a new wire to it. Drilling isnt really possible due to the space limitation around the pedals, and the risk of damaging the evaporator. So I used a soldering iron to melt a hole the correct size to insert the temp sensor. I then found an old pc sound card cable and connector that plugged into the sensor and routed though to the cables that plug into the back of the climate unit. I then cut the Brown and Violet wires that connected to the old (bad) sensor and soldered the new wires to it. I then put everything back together and thankfully my climate issue of the compressor not switching on and off was resolved.

The main thing is I think you can do this without even removing the dashboard (maybe just the panels around it). Obviously the car isn't now 'oem', but it works fine and electrically is no different - and obviously the sensor is now easily accessible.

For reference the old sensor read 1.15k ohm (stuck at that value), the new one vaired between 2.7k and 3.5k ohm (depending on temp). So obviously the old sensor incorrectly made the climate unit think the evap temp was still high, keeping the compressor on all the time to the point of freezing up.

When I get time I will post up some pictures.

Best Regards,
    Tim.

Default Champion!

Thank you for being the first to climb Everest and confirm the location!!

Just wanted to clarify -- with the dashboard out, could you see the top of the sensor plug under the loom? Or just see the sensor tip itself through the air vents?
    2001 Cross Country SE
    140,000 kms

"Write a clever saying and your name will live forever"

Anon.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_72 View Post
    Thank you for being the first to climb Everest and confirm the location!!

Just wanted to clarify -- with the dashboard out, could you see the top of the sensor plug under the loom? Or just see the sensor tip itself through the air vents?
    No the sensor was not visible/accessible at all from the top, only visible through the vents.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast