Default Headlight Intermittent Problem

I have two XC70's, a 2002 and 2003, and both have had intermittent headlight problems. The message comes on in the instrument panel indicating "Low Beam Headlight Out" but when I check the bulb and fuses they are ok. A few days later the message disappears and the light works.
    Any clues?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by rfauber
    I have two XC70's, a 2002 and 2003, and both have had intermittent headlight problems. The message comes on in the instrument panel indicating "Low Beam Headlight Out" but when I check the bulb and fuses they are ok. A few days later the message disappears and the light works.
    Any clues?
    I've had a similar intermittent problem with a tail light on my previous '01. It seemed that the problem was solved after I pulled the plugs off each of the bulbs in turn and cleaned the contacts in both the connectors and on the back of the bulbs with electronic contact cleaner.

Are all the headlights not working when the message appears or are you just getting the alert with only a single bulbe failure?

-Todd

'06 XC70, Black/Graphite: Prem/Conv/Clim Packages, Bi-Xenon, Privat Sekt 18", 235/50 Goodrich G-Force, Hidden Hitch, Thule Evo
    '05 S60R , Black Sapphire metallic/Atacama: 6 speed manual, 20% vlt tint, 17" Pegs, iPod
    '03 BMW K1200GT, Metallic Silver-Green: Z-Technic exhaust & chip, 141+ bhp, bling, bling, bling--too much to list
    "Lose the pants!" Utilikilt.com

Had the same happen on our '03 .... Low beam out msg. I was about to change the light when it came back on and has been on since. I think mine was a loose plug.

Al

Default Headlight Intermittent Problem

I posted the original note on this problem, and since I think I have discovered the cause. My best guess is that the socket that the low-beam bulb plugs into was faulty, making the connection a little loose. It apparently shorted a little, overheated, and actually melted some of the plastic that the socket is made of. I called local Volvo dealer to arrange for repair, presuming all that would be needed was a new socket, and the service manager advised that an entire headlight assembly was required--no separate part for just the socket. Thank heavens it's under warranty. That's just poor design in my view. A $2.00 part replacement becomes a $200.00 job.

Quote Originally Posted by rfauber
    ... service manager advised that an entire headlight assembly was required--no separate part for just the socket....
    That seems a bit odd since the socket that the bulb plugs into is actually part of the wiring harness not the headlight assembly.
    -Steve
    '03 XC70 Silver, Graphite -Premium Package - Touring Package - VCOA
    '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    '78 Ford F250

Is possible that there is a loose ground to the headlamp circuit. Check it out.
    [2002 V70 XC] Venetian Red Metallic/Blk Leather*33k+ miles
    -Hands-Free Phone Set, all packages except Nav.
    Turbocharger replaced April/2005 under warranty.

[1991 245] Metallic Blue/Blue Leather*175k+ miles my daily beater.
    [1994 854 GLT] *141K+ miles

Member of Volvo High Mileage Club and the miles keeps ROLLING!!

I just had the same thing on my 04. When I went to replace the bulb, I noticed that there was some electrical tape around the connector to the bulb.

I took it off and noticed that the connected was cracked a bit. I cleaned everything up and it seems ok for now. But definately, there was a loose connection.

-Mitch

2004 XC70
    1999 Passat 1.8T
    1969 Triumph GT6+

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

On certain 2001 chassis', the number of bulb outages became frequent enough to prompt Volvo to attach resistance proof adapter cables between the original cables and the low beam headlamps. Has anyone had these installed in their vehicles?

More here.