Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How's your XC ride?

Having never owned or driven a xc70 until I bought mine I have a simple question for all of you. My XC just turned 140k today and I'm not sure if it's time to replace the suspension or not. Feels like if there was a dime laying in the road I'd feel it driving over it. Car does have some sway and bounce over the dips and dives in the roads I travel. If the road is smooth my ride is great. How does your XC ride?

Thanks Cold

Exceptionally good since suspension was fully replaced about 6 months ago.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    Exceptionally good since suspension was fully replaced about 6 months ago.
    Same, replaced 2 months. Great!
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Yep, I did a new suspension on my '05 over the last 4 months and it is good. Keep in mind though that an XC is no long wheelbase MB in terms of ride, but the new suspension will be much better controlled than what you have at 140K.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Thanks. Thinking it needs new everything. Other comments welcome please.

What brand of parts did you guys use? FCP has a entire kitt on their site for a little over 1K.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdFront View Post
    What brand of parts did you guys use? FCP has a entire kitt on their site for a little over 1K.
    That's not too bad a setup but if I have a concern it would be the use of Karlyn stuff within that kit. Lemforder, Hutchinson, Sachs are all suppliers to the factory so those are the names you are looking for for the most part. Saying that though, I'm not a huge fan of what Sachs puts together for this chassis in regard to dampers. I think they are a bit too stiff on rebound and that is a huge part of what make these cars ride a bit stiffer than they should. I'm running Monroe OESpectrum front struts on my '02 and they work better IMHO than the Sachs in the front. Unfortunately, they don't do the rear dampers. I just put ProParts Sweden dampers all around on my '05 and they are pretty equivalent to Sachs as far as ride control, too early to tell if they will have the longevity of the Sachs. Although they won't tell you, it is my belief that they might be made by Monroe since ProParts is mostly a re-labeler of OE supplier bits and when compared side-by-side, they look identical save for the branding engraving.

Getting back to the control arms in this kit, I'd suggest using Moog or TRW arms instead. A lot of people have offers for these things and the differences is primarily in the bushings used as the aluminum castings have to be a particular shape and dimension so not much you can do to make them better than the next guy. Of course, you always have the option of just replacing the bushings but if you are new to this game, I wouldn't recommend it. But keep your old parts as next time you need bushings its not a bad option to have the old arms re-bushed (with Lemforder).

Anyway, my two cents on it.

Have fun,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

At 140K it's a given that just about everything needs to be replaced, (unless you recently have replaced certain parts or have proof that the PO recently did).
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

What other places do you guys get your parts from aside from FCP and IPD?

Thanks again for the input.

Rockauto.com
    Ebay.com
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast