Default Two broken springs!

I hava a 2006 xc70 with 130,000kms. Went to a friends house last weekend with no issues with the car. When I left their place, the instant a drove away I heard a horrible grinding noise when I turned or hit a bump. Got home and quick peek under the left front showed a broken coil, grinding against the tower. Luckily I had a set of S60 springs and spring caps I never installed, so the car wasn't going to be out of commission long. Dealership wanted $1000 to replace the springs. Too much so I thought I'll just do it myself. After replacing the left spring, I looked at the right front for comparison just to make sure I put everything back right, and saw it was broken too! I have now idea when that one broke. I've read about them breaking, but thought the odds were good it would not happen to me. Now I have had two break. I am very lucky that it didn't happen on a road trip or hit the tire(s). It was a good excuse to put the S60 springs in, as my wife really didn't want the lower stance. Any one else had two go at once?

I bought a car with 2 broken front springs
    S60 springs will not work (properly) and what would you do with the rears
    Shocks and struts are too long for one thing
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

S60awd springs will work fine. There are a lot of examples on this forum of people using just the springs and stock xc70 shocks and struts. I put the S60 rears in too. Lowered car only about 1", which means the stock xc70 shocks will have lots of travel left.

I would use the correct V70 AWD springs
    If you want a chassis number I just got one (otherwise, it's impossible to order springs).

Lowers it more than an inch, yours must have been very worn out and weak
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

All this talk about broken springs on the forum makes me want to replace mine before anything happens.
    Knock on wood
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    I would use the correct V70 AWD springs
    If you want a chassis number I just got one (otherwise, it's impossible to order springs).

Lowers it more than an inch, yours must have been very worn out and weak
    It's possible the springs were weak because the difference does not look as drastic as I thought it would.
    Thanks for the offer but the S60 springs are already in and the car is in for an alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
    All this talk about broken springs on the forum makes me want to replace mine before anything happens.

Knock on wood

No, dont knock on wood. Change them. 1 just broke on HW @ 65 MPH. Hopefully nothing happened and wife made her way back home. But dont wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post
    No, dont knock on wood. Change them. 1 just broke on HW @ 65 MPH. Hopefully nothing happened and wife made her way back home. But dont wait.
    Maybe I'll keep a spare set with my emergency repair kit . The coating on my springs look decent, but I know that no real indication of it's condition. Maybe you can snap some pics of your old springs and post it once removed. I was going to hold out to 100k miles when I'm going to replace most of the suspension parts to replace the springs if they hold up. If they break before then, well looks like I'll be doing the refresh sooner.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles