Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Carrier bearing is still in great shape, spins freely without any play, so I'm just servicing the front CV.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
    Well attempt #2: FAIL
    Cause: Weather

Once again made time for this and yet another hang up. I checked the forcast and the rain was supposed to hold off until tonight... WRONG. Would have been fine if I set up on higher ground, but unfortunately the eavestrough were clogged up and dumped all the rain right in front of my unit . I was just about the get at the flange when my ass started to get soaked, so I called it quits. Removed the driveshaft completely (which I'll be replacing soon), hung the exhaust, covered the flange on the AOC to protect it from the elements, and now my XC is officially FWD and I need some dry clothes and a beer.
    Attempt #3 & 4: Fail
    Cause: Flange nut cannot be removed with typical tool.

Went at this agian then brought it to my mechanic who also had trouble. Trying both an impact gun and a two foot breaker bar, using a strap wrench as a counter hold a soaking it with tons of penetrating oil (even though it's not that rusty), and the damn thing wouldn't loose. I'm reluctant to try heat but may go that route if option 3 doesn't work. My mechanic is going to pick-up the Volvo counter hold and will try agian on Monday. He will also be swapping in the new valve body and servicing the front CV while it's in. Time being what it is I can't dedicate any more towards this at this time of year, and not having AWD is starting to get to me. Has be quite damp around here recently, and due to my driving habits, I'm finding that I'm spinning the tires too often from a stop.
    Last edited by Antherzoll; 12-13-2015 at 08:09 PM.

Went at this agian then brought it to my mechanic who also had trouble. Trying both an impact gun
    How powerful is your impact gun? I removed the nut with 8 amp electric Craftsman.
    I'm reluctant to try heat but may go that route if option 3 doesn't work.
    Don't do this, flange has a rubber between layers, probably it's a vibration dumper. Heat will certainly melt it.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    How powerful is your impact gun? I removed the nut with 8 amp electric Craftsman.

Don't do this, flange has a rubber between layers, probably it's a vibration dumper. Heat will certainly melt it.
    Myself electric, my mechanic has air tools.

Rock Auto has issued a RMA and is paying for the return shipping. I'll be purchasing a CV kit from Colorado Driveshafts and will service the OE shaft myself.

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/Volvo-drive-sha...715?nav=SEARCH
    to Rockauto, not only have they refunded the part, they refunded the shipping and covered the return shipping.

We have issued you credit for RockAuto Order #

PayPal

Amount (USD): $260.01

Refunded Items

API Part # 1701325942: Part: $175.79 + Original Shipping: $60.00 + Tax: $24.22 = Total: $260.01

to Rockauto, not only have they refunded the part, they refunded the shipping and covered the return shipping.
    I wish FCP would do the same with their "If we wouldn't put it on our cars, we won't sell it to you" returns.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Been almost two weeks since I drove my XC...‎

Soooo... Finally got the valve body swapped in and man does it ever shift nice! I don't feel any of the upshifts or downshifts unless I'm using GT and revving high. Still having a slight clunking when shifting N-R or N-D that I'm quite sure is just some drivetrain slop from all the miles of abuse (which is to be expected), if I shift it in and out of drive twice the second shift into drive is like butter. Really sounds like the angle gear, someone suggest possibly early sign of collar sleeve wear (which I was going to service as a preventative measure...because I really have the time for that now...), but I really think it's just some internal wear in the transmission. Not going to address this unless it gets really aggravating or if something blows up...stay tuned
    Last edited by Antherzoll; 06-14-2016 at 12:36 AM.

Been neglecting you guys over here on VolvoXC, mostly because I've been using tapatalk app and VolvoXC is not on it. Here is a jumble of what I've been up to.

Enjoy!

Oh and yay

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Yay rockauto!!!

Ordered on Feb 2, here when I woke up this morning.

$355CDN all-in. shipping and duties included.
    Just some randoms stuff

The rein bellow kit comes with a Volvo bellow and a bump stop from BASF, geat deal considering that just the Volvo bellow is about the same price.

Yes, Pentosin Super Dot 4. Was going to go with ATE TYP 200, but this will work well enough.

Had a bit of free time (trapped in the car with sleeping todlers) and didn't realize at the time of purchase that it was off a 04 so the electrical is not compatible. Seller was selling it as an 05 wheel so I assumed it would be compatible, really didn't know what too look out for but I knew there was a difference between years, found a date stamp on it for 2003 during install. Seller has an 05 wheel and gave me an 04 wheel by mistake, will be picking it up today or tomorrow. Oh and yeah, totally a 15min swap including the 3mins you wait after disconnecting the battery.

FYI:
    What to look for date stamp and electrical connector. The electrical connector for 01-04 is a female connector, 05+ is a male connector, contact reel on 01-04 has a wiring harness with a male connector, 05+ has a female connector at the contact reel. Air bag is compatible all years.

Comparison: XC70 05 wheel to 04 R wheel

R wheel
    https://youtu.be/VTxuk0QCNDg

Not using the best tool set (what I had on hand), some fumbling but easy peasy. I set the wheel off slightly as it wasn't set correctly the last time I had it off, so this straightened it. The new wheel does block my gauges slightly but I can still read them. The wheel feels great and lighter(?), but that may be a placebo effect.
    Late night, or early morning?

Fixed my self caused oil leak, it was the turbo drain O-ring, and got the rear shocks and springs installed. Here are some pics

Rear Right

https://youtu.be/mSN0VsQEYlc

Rear Left

https://youtu.be/h9L1Jqh_cmQ

Ride height went from 16-7/8" to 17-5/8" (measured from center of wheel hub the to the upper lip of the wheel arch). The rear spring seats were still in great condition. The new spring had a bit more length to the coil on the ends, so even though I marked and lined everything up to match the original springs/shocks I had to adjust the shocks mount and spring seat alignment slightly counter-clockwise to fit properly on the vehicle.

The new rear shocks feel great, drove on eastbound Gardiner Expressway between Lake shore exit and Jameson exit (those of you who commute to Toronto may know the all familiar humps on this stretch of road) a wee bit over the speed limit and it handled it very well. Need to do the fronts next, then new tires and alignment time.

As you can guess, front spring/struts completed tonight!

Ride height in the front went from 16.5" to 19.25", I expect it to settle a bit, but man it feels like I installed a lift kit

The springs has rust in the typical locations. The shocks were so so, the passengers side had about .5" of free play and clunked, this clunk has been driving me nuts for a while. The new shocks feel great!

The old spring seats have approx 10k-15k mi on them and are already showing signs of fatigue. Forgot what brand they were, but it was some OEM brand as the "VOLVO" logo is grinded down.

Strut mount bearings, one was a bit sloppy, the other felt a bit rough, both were quite rusty, but I feel they could have been reused

The Impact Wrench of Thor made short work of most of the rusted fasteners without any help from penetrating oil except one strut bolt on the passengers side, gave it a spray then it was like butter. Man it feels powerful, and it eats batteries (I only have the 3ah batteries, should get a 5ah for this puppy) It went through one battery a side (including compressing springs). I'm quite happy with it.

I'm going to call Active Green & Ross tomorrow to see if they can get me in before the weekend. Alignment, Thors, and BFG up next!

Beer Time[emoji481]

Here's how it sits now.

Will take pictures and measurementsn in a month.

[emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]

I've only driven the XC home from the shop, maybe like 2 km as 50km/h so I can't say much, but I do like them better than the Q rated dry rotting winter tires they replaced. Parallel parking does take a bit more effort (I don't turn my tires unless they are rolling, drives me crazy when I see people grind their tires like that). Gong to check what PSI the shop has set them at and maybe play around with the setting until I find the sweet spot. What are you running yours at?

I asked the shop to perform an alignment but they said the inner tie rod has play and didn't do it, these shops always find something, probobly don't want them aligning it anyways. I didn't noticed any play last time I checked and I'm to busy right now (worked a 16h night shift). Going to drop it off at my mechanic's tonight and have him take a look and have his guy align it.

The Thors look great in pictures but up close they are rough, not that I really care I think they are awesome, they were only $250 and with no dents or bends, they fill the need. The winter Thors for next season are brutal, but agian I don't care.

Total: 4x 235/55ZR17 BF Goodrich g-force comp-2 A/S
    $756.69 all-in
    $706.69 after mail-in rebate

It's raining out and I'm not sleeping anyways, so time to get these a little wet. So far I'm quite impressed. On flat level surfaces they feel very smooth, are quiet, and have amazing grip for wet weather. Harshness, well I haven't been on the highway yet, but I definitely can feel more imperfections in the road, especially over streetcar tracks, but not bad enough to say it's unbearable. The vehicle will get tossed around more on uneven surfaces, but that's a trade off for steering response which feels greatly improved over both the winters and the Pirellis but that just might be the upgrade to 17"s.

Haven't checked the PSI. I'll comment more on them once I get a better feel, but I'm no tire connoisseur, my comments are going to be based off of my expectations and experiences which are very limited when it comes to tires.

So I jacked up the front end this morning to check the steering and everything is tight. Just got the XC back from the mechanic and everything checks out ok and aligned perfectly, don't know what those guys at Green and Ross were seeing...

Last edited by Antherzoll; 04-03-2016 at 07:57 PM.

So while trying to chase down a oil leak I may have accidentily created another. I was noticing an engine oil leak at the back of the engine so I decided to power wash the area to get a better idea of where it was coming from, turns out it was the turbo drain, about a week later I noticed rusty oil leaking from between the transmission and angle gear. Since the angle gear collar sleeve isn't sealed and is exposed I assum some water got into the sleeve, loosened up some rust and debris in the area, and worked it's way into the input seal on the angle gear. I assembled a kit and went about replacing the collar sleeve today along with the transmission seal, axle seal, angle gear input seal, and I changed the AG fluid while it was out. The job was pretty straight forward, just like anything it's a process.

Ohhh, that's nasty. Getting up to this point was quite easy, pretty much just nut and bolt with a bit of lifting once the angle gear comes free.

Clean Up Clean Up. Splines on the angle gear look good to me, haven't seen a new one in person so I don't have anything to judge by.

Next up was tackling the collar sleeve. I've been pondering this for a while and kind of had an idea of how I was going to do it. Once the AG was removed I was laying on the ground with a few tools so I decided to give it a shot with what I had around, this is what I came up with. [emoji13]

Shade tree mechanic extraordinaire! I had to really hammer it but it came out with relative ease compared to what others have described.

For the seals a good pic set and a flat head works well to remove them. Trade size 2" ABS to push in the transmission seal and 1.75" for the angle gear, and the shaft seal in the collar sleeve can be done by hand.

Ohh la la.

Drained the AG, filled it with 75W90 GL-5, and as always, install is opposite of removal. Clean up, top off the ATF, pack up the site, and after a test run no leaks and all is well.

Including lunch break, setup and take down, it took me approx. 7h. A day well spent, and boy am I glad that I got arroud to changing out that collar sleeve, looks like it was ready to let go.

Good Grief! I wish I had that much energy... Maybe 30 years ago...Well I guess I did then.. Pulled the trans out of the station wagon, by myself, in an hour or so. Not any more.
    Nice job!
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789