Default Can you help identify this noise?

2004 XC70 with 160K miles, I have replaced the following in the last month:
    - Inner tie rod
    - Outer tie rods
    - Ball Joints (two weeks ago)
    - Front Struts kit (bearing, bellow, stops, bumps, etc from IPD)

The noise started a week ago, a week after replacing the ball joints, and it only happens when turning either direction at low speed (5mph or less). I don't know how to describe the noise only than saying that it is metal, humming loud, whining, noise. Car runs fine, goes straight, and does not shake or veer to one side at all.

Watch the video and let me know
    - what it could be
    - what kind of noise you would call it

VOLUME MAY BE LOW!!
    Thanks
    2004 XC70 2.5 T5 AWD 150K Mobil 1
    2000 VW Passat Wagon V6 150K Castrol
    2000 Tacoma PreRunner 190K Castrol
    2000 Isuzu Trooper 4WD 140K Castrol

Just a couple of guesses...

- I assume steering knuckle came off for the ball joint change? If so, maybe check the rubber seal between the outer CV on the drive axle and the hub?
    - When was inner tie rods done in relation to the noise appearance? Inner tie rod job probably can put some pressure on the steering rack's seals depending on how you changed it.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Howard,
    Yes knuckle came off, and will check for rubber seal.
    Inner and outer rods were changed in early January.

I want to add that I alignment has not been done yet, I know, but i have stopped driving it until I take later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post
    Just a couple of guesses...

- I assume steering knuckle came off for the ball joint change? If so, maybe check the rubber seal between the outer CV on the drive axle and the hub?
    - When was inner tie rods done in relation to the noise appearance? Inner tie rod job probably can put some pressure on the steering rack's seals depending on how you changed it.
    2004 XC70 2.5 T5 AWD 150K Mobil 1
    2000 VW Passat Wagon V6 150K Castrol
    2000 Tacoma PreRunner 190K Castrol
    2000 Isuzu Trooper 4WD 140K Castrol

My hearing is so bad I'm probably not hearing the noise you are referring to. FWIW: What I think I hear is a dust shield that has been bent and is rubbing during turning.
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

If occur while stationary, then would be easier to isolate. Can try jacking it up or put front wheel on floor tile with salt underneath for no/reduce load turns.

I recall I had a similar noise in my old 01 V70 T5. Same pitch and sound almost same as yours. Very hard to describe. Not metallic or airy. I imagine it like a harmonica with just a single note (we usually hear multiple notes) at the right pitch. Mine occurred rarely coming slowly to a stop. Memory is fuzzy but I recall it eventually disappearing but can't remember in relation to what repair... maybe brake booster?

But I like Bill's guess in post #4 better
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Sounds like binding brake caliper... get someone to listen while you drive around parking lot at low speeds to identify which one. Could also be bent brake shield, but sounds more like binding caliper. Does it go away when you step on brakes?
    2003 XC70 fuzzy dice mod

Quote Originally Posted by RockitShip View Post
    Sounds like binding brake caliper... get someone to listen while you drive around parking lot at low speeds to identify which one. Could also be bent brake shield, but sounds more like binding caliper. Does it go away when you step on brakes?
    Exact same sound I was getting from a bent brake shield in the exact same situation as your video. The shield is rubbing against the rotor, just bend it out slightly by turning the wheel to full lock to reach in there with your arm, or depending on your rims, use a stick through the spokes for a quick fix unless you want to take the wheel off for a better visual.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Yep, I'm voting for a brake shield as well. First place to look is right by where the ball joint is. It doesn't take much right in that area to bend the shield just enough to rub the rotor as there isn't any stiffening stamped there. Also keep in mind that as you turn there is the slightest lateral movement of the rotor due to bearing play and with the noise you have, that is a very slight rub.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff