Default Timing marks and oil leak.

My exhaust cam seal is spewing oil all over the place (seems to only do this while driving not at idle or when revving at idle) so i want to take it apart (well i am taking it apart) and replace the seals. one thing i noticed is that the intake cam gear which is supposed to be fixed and keyed to the camshafts is actually slotted where the bolts go through and when i installed my DIY cam locking tool in the back of the head my timing marks on the intake cam gear does not line up but its off by about a tooth which is exactly the amount of movement available in the slotted bolt holes used to lock the cam gear to the camshaft. Is this normal? technically it doesn't matter where the mark is as long as the cams are locked in the proper position, correct?

now for the exhaust cam gear, i did see a youtube video on it and it looks like the bolts in the slots should be at the far clockwise position (up against the end of the slots) when setting up timing?? well this is not the case with my car the bolts are just a little bit off center toward the clockwise position. So im guessing that my timing is off? i do have a rough idle (chalked it up to the ETM) at times and unsteady idle. any advise on this would be great!

the timing mark for the crank is not appearant to me just yet, mainly because i didnt take the crank pulley off yet. But if anyone could provide me with an illustration of the marks for the crank pulley i would greatly appreciate it.

one last thing about the oil leak i have. Is it common for 2.4t volvos to only leak oil from the cam seal while driving. i spent a lot of time in park with the upper belt cover off at 3k rpm trying to pinpoint the leak and it just wouldn't happen. But as soon as i drive it around the block about half a mile, i have oil all over the belt and just everywhere.

Have you checked/tested the PCV system? Leaking while the engine is as load sounds like there pressure in the crankcase.

If you're sure that the cams are locked in the proper position with your homemade tool then you can set set the cam sprocket to match this and make you're own timing marks.

VVT Setting:
    The end goal is that all the notches should line up and the VVT unit (inner part of the cam pulley) will be turned fully clockwise to its limit position. Therefore the three small bolts on the pulley should be in their rightmost position.
    Last edited by Antherzoll; 08-28-2015 at 11:13 AM.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
    Have you checked/tested the PCV system? Leaking while the engine is as load sounds like there pressure in the crankcase.

If you're sure that the cams are locked in the proper position with your homemade tool then you can set set the cam sprocket to match this and make you're own timing marks.

VVT Setting:
    I'm pretty sure my DIY cam locking tool has the cams locked correctly... The goal of the cam locking tool is to have the notches in the back of the cams on the same flat plane.. So basically if the cylinder head itself wasn't in the way you could just use a flat piece of metal to lock them, as long as they are not 180 degrees off. Is that correct?

I purchased all the parts for a pcv system overhaul. Well I have the catch can, the 2 hoses, and the seal. Is there anything else I need for the 2.4t engine? I'm hoping I don't have to pull down the oil pan.

I suspect my timing is off then.. Hopefully this will make my car run better, it idles a bit rough now.

Here's my cam locking tool. You can see that the slot on the intake a exhaust cam are slightly offset from each other.

I've placed the extension side be side to show how much it is off set by. I think that a straight bar (if possible) would not align the cams properly.

wow that sucks. im just going to order the tool. i hate buying tools that im only going to use 1 or 2 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
    Here's my cam locking tool. You can see that the slot on the intake a exhaust cam are slightly offset from each other.

I've placed the extension side be side to show how much it is off set by. I think that a straight bar (if possible) would not align the cams properly.
    thanks for taking the time to take pictures of the cam locking tool. Much appreciated!
    Last edited by Jerseykat1; 08-28-2015 at 07:42 PM. Reason: it sounded wrong the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseykat1 View Post
    thanks for taking the time to take pictures of the cam locking tool. Much appreciated!
    No problem. I thought it was so, but I had to check my tool to be sure. Snapping a pic and posting was no trouble

Correct, not a straight line. A slight offset. You can make a tool from 1/8" bar stock...but after starting on doing that...I bought the tool from Amazon...it was more than I needed (full cylinder head tool) but it beat making the tool from bar stock...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (130K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (58K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (147K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (247K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (300K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (230K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

thanks.. i ordered a similar kit from eBay.