Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IPD HD TCV questions

Hi all. I am back at the slate of knowledge for help from the more experienced out there. I own an '02 xc70 with 115,000 on it and am looking to install the IPD HD TCV. After searching older posts, I wasn't able to find the definitive answers I am looking for before pulling the trigger on the purchase. I must admit, the car runs fine, but just knowing that there is a bolt-on upgrade that can (possibly) add performance and life to my car for under $100, I gotta at least try it . After downloading the IPD PDF directions for install, I still am a little unclear after reading their directions.

1 - Is a boost gauge needed for the adaptation/break in?

I know the directions state that one is not needed, however, info for initial break-in only deals with the limiting the boost as seen on the gauge. Is there a rule of thumb for those of us w/o a gauge? Light acceleration and no highway driving for awhile? Can I just get in and drive normal and let the car do its thing, knowing that the car will "learn" it soon enough?

2 - Is the idea of changing only two of the three hoses a valid one? I am planning on buying the IPD silicone tubing along with it, unless there is another option that is recommended.

I read that the 2 "top" ones are all that is needed, provided the "bottom" one is in good shape. I understand that the two top lines are vacuum, so new, stiffer tubing would be a logical improvement over the original lines. I understand that the bottom one is a pressure line, so provided line is in good shape, the rigidity of that line isn't as critical. Can someone verify the two vacuum line colors so that I know I am on the right path (vs. two "top" lines that are often to referred to as).

I ask about the lines for specific reasons. I read that access is difficult at best for the bottom one. I understand that I will have to disconnect all three anyway from the TCV when I change it. Knowing myself and my previous automotive experience, I have a 50/50 success rate with fine motor skills. This volvo engine compartment is not nearly as roomy as my '94 wrangler's. My hands are big and tend to shake, my patience is non existent on my best days, and I would prefer my baby twins to not witness their father in a driveway meltdown. I figure if I can at least swap the "easier" ones and possibly enjoy a little boost in driving enjoyment, if the third ends in an abort, it won't be the end of the world. Again, I understand that the improvement might be minimal at best, but there are more than a few people that are really happy with the results after install. Enough anyway to have me sold
    Looking forward to your collective experience. Drive safe!

Quote Originally Posted by saynoto29ers View Post
    1 - Is a boost gauge needed for the adaptation/break in?
    I didn't use one. Not sure I even followed the adaptation/break in directions But it worked, power can be felt immediately after install.

2 - Is the idea of changing only two of the three hoses a valid one?
    Thats all I did for both of my P2s. Worked perfectly.

I also read somewhere that hose is the key difference. Someone mentioned new silicon hoses with original TCV will also improve performance. I never put the old one back in to confirm.

Good luck, I think I might have lost 1mpg... but not really sure since it was awhile ago now.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Howard, I read that as well concerning new tubing with the stock TCV making a difference. I am going for the new TCV and tubing while momma is giving me the green light.

So it really is as advertised, huh? Sounds like you felt an immediate improvement as soon as it was installed. Any obvious pointers you can offer before I do it that is not mentioned in the directions? After two installs you must have a trick or two to share.

I must admit, the car runs fine, but just knowing that there is a bolt-on upgrade that can (possibly) add performance and life to my car for under $100, I gotta at least try it .
    All IPD hardware upgrades are designed to help improve the effects of their software modification (ECU flash) which increases the boost pressure in these low-pressure turbo engines. In the absence of any such ECU reprogramming the upgrades will have little effect. If your TCV is not working well and you want to replace it, use IPDs improved version by all means, but replacing a functional Volvo OEM TCV with that from IPD will not result in any upgrades by itself.

sorry no tips Pretty straight forward. Didn't go for the third hose because it looked harder to get to.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't follow IPD's adaptation steps precisely without a boost gauge. I wouldn't know when 1/2 boost is I probably drove it easily when called for no boost, stepped on the gas a bit when it called for 1/2 boost. All I recall is both cars got more power without doing anything complicated after the install.

Only suggestion I would have is the old hoses had colored tapes on them to color code the connection. Might want to put same color tape on the new hoses in case of any reinstall in the future. I didn't do this but I've not had any reasons to pull it apart so far.

Oh, wear some rubber gloves. Your hands will be black pulling off the old hoses pliers can be helpful to give the old hose a twist to break loose the connection prior to pulling it out.

Have fun enjoying your "new" car

By the way, synth and non synth oil has noticeable power differences in my T5. Its subtle but 2.3 high pressure turbo motor seems to rev more freely with synth. Maybe the turbo spools up faster with synth? Not sure. Not sure if the effect is as dramatic in the 2.4T. Wonder if anyone feel the difference in 2.4T or the 2.5T?

Was looking at K&N FIPK intake filters for father in law's Toyota Tacoma this evening. Looks like many people claim power boost and improve mileage. Too bad I don't see one for our engines
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    All IPD hardware upgrades are designed to help improve the effects of their software modification (ECU flash) which increases the boost pressure in these low-pressure turbo engines. In the absence of any such ECU reprogramming the upgrades will have little effect. If your TCV is not working well and you want to replace it, use IPDs improved version by all means, but replacing a functional Volvo OEM TCV with that from IPD will not result in any upgrades by itself.
    Interesting. Since I have both a T5 and 2.4T motor, I don't recall if the ipd's TCV performance improvement is more dramatic on the T5 or 2.4T (all kind of blurry now) I will say in general, I have consistently sensed more dramatic effects on the T5 including TCM software, synthetic oil, and maybe also this TCV+hoses. Maybe it all has to do with how fast that high latency turbo spools up.

Before anyone thinks I'm crazy, I noticed the T5 power gain on the first oil change (dino to synth) some 8 years ago now. I just recently put in dino oil and felt the performance loss immediately. Got rid of it after 200 miles and went back to synth... engine revs more effortlessly now It isn't so dramatic but definitely noticeable.
    Last edited by howardc64; 01-19-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Sjonnie, I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly. According to your response, every person who has experienced an improvement in performance following an install of an IPD HD TCV has had their ECU flashed? If I want to experience any improvement in acceleration, response, etc., installing an IPD HD TCV and new hose alone will do nothing, providing my factory unit is functioning properly. If I order the HD TCV and hoses w/o dropping $900 for the IPD Soft Loader, I am wasting my money in the sense that I will not see any difference from stock. I have read the description on their website and I cannot find that their (or any) ECU flash is required to see gains with this part. I just find it hard to believe that IPD would not be more aggressive in notifying potential buyers of the need for additional mods to be in place prior to install. If I misunderstood your post, my apologies.

Haven't done the TCV because I think the cars run OK...but I am on board with Sjonnie's logic: ECU calls for a specific boost pressure. A working TCV will deliver that pressure. So, if the TCV works, replacing it with a working one won't change the performance...but, if the TCV is failing (as I suspect Howard's might have been), then a new one will make a difference. And, if you change the ECU programming to demand more of the TCV (in response or pressure), then the upgraded one might be needed...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (130K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (58K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (147K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (247K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (300K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (230K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Mine made a difference but only because the old TCV threw a P1237 so bought the IPD HD one to fix that. I could say the turbo is more responsive now.

I agree with others that just changing the TCV to boost performance is wrong. The only performance improvement would be that you might get the real factory operation if the old TCV is failing or if you have a ECU remap.

2000 Silver V70 XC SE - 153,000 miles and counting...
    Mostly stock - IPD HD TCV - IPD HD coils

According to your response, every person who has experienced an improvement in performance following an install of an IPD HD TCV has had their ECU flashed?
    No, very few people have the ECU flash. For most people, the improvement is because their old TCV wasn't working correctly, when it comes times to replace they put in a IPD TCV and see the improvement. Worn hoses could also be a factor.

If I want to experience any improvement in acceleration, response, etc., installing an IPD HD TCV and new hose alone will do nothing, providing my factory unit is functioning properly.
    It'll do nothing. The TCV connects the high pressure side of the turbo to the wastegate and thereby controls the wastegate function of the turbo. If the TCV is working correctly the wastegate won't come into effect until you reach near max boost. The correct wastegate setting on these low pressure turbos is 1.8psi which is less than the max-turbo pressure of 8psi. To control that, the TCV uses a solenoid that modulates the pressure in the wastegate line based on a signal from the ECU. If the solenoid is unable to modulate that pressure effectively, the wastegate will open before max boost is reached and you'll have less power.

If I order the HD TCV and hoses w/o dropping $900 for the IPD Soft Loader, I am wasting my money in the sense that I will not see any difference from stock. I have read the description on their website and I cannot find that their (or any) ECU flash is required to see gains with this part. I just find it hard to believe that IPD would not be more aggressive in notifying potential buyers of the need for additional mods to be in place prior to install.
    Only way to know that is to install a turbo gauge to monitor boost pressure (which is potentially another waste of money but irresistable if you like gadgets ). IPD aren't going to say "Don't buy this part", technically it is an upgrade because the solenoid is built to a higher specification than the OEM part. I have an IPD TCV along with silicone charged air pipe tubing from them, both of which I used to replace the failed OEM components. They don't give me any more boost pressure than factory but of course my performance is increased because the parts I replaced were worn out. They are upgrades in the sense that they will last longer and be more durable than the OEM components they replaced, but they don't change the fact that the ECU limits my max boost pressure to 8psi.

It's also worth pointing out that many of the components IPD make are for 'R' engines that already run to a higher boost pressure than the 2.4T, 12-15psi or so. Some people may be trying to get those to 19-20psi or more at which point the importance of the TCV is critical.
    Last edited by sjonnie; 01-19-2012 at 09:03 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast