Question Tailgate clip replacement?

Anyone have a better solution for attaching the plastic to the tailgate door than the factory clips? They suck, and my door is falling apart

well i tried the repair kit you can buy. all the clips broke. the plastic they use is too brittle for this application.
    i read somewhere about using velcro. tried that. no adhesive that i tried would keep the velcro stuck to anything.

so i finally broke down and went to a volvo indie shop and they bolt the panel to the hatch. they used clips on the bottom and screws for the top.
    it aint comming off

where abouts in the US are you? maybe someone here can refer you to a shop near you.
    Hailing from the Majestic Rocky Mountain High
    RIP 04-08-09

Extras: Bilstein Hd's, Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Rotors, K&N Air Filter
    IPD HD TCV, Stylin Motors Silicone Hoses, Silverstars, 8000k HID Fogs
    It is illegal to get this high in other states.

Need OEM Volvo Parts?
    Call Daryl Waltrip Volvo
    (800) 689-0021
    Ask for Jamie or Don

I don't know what YOU used, both Volvo's and IPD's tailgate repair kit have METAL clips that replace most of the plastic clips, they NEVER break

metal clips sound like the plan. I remember these clips being teh suck in the 240 as well....

To clarify, the repair kit is a set of metal plates that reinforce the original oval slots in the plastic panel.
    The plastic is a little thin and they often break over time at that point. You STILL use the OEM plastic clips.
    Granted, they get brittle with age, but with civilized use, they should last for years. And with no exposed screw heads!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo...mZ270259607617

I installed the plates about a year ago and the kit that I received included fresh clips.
    My panel is still firmly in place. I am also VERY concious about how I close it.
    If you don't slam it, you probably won't break the clips as fast...

'98 " Last of the Good Ones!" V70 R
    Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -

I try not to slam any doors, as a general rule, but I've found my 'trunk open' light needs a certain amount of force to keep from triggering. I don't see why someone couldn't turn out actual metal clips the same as the plastic ones - I imagine they could even be stamped fairly easily. Anyone know a good machine shop?

Default Go w/ IPD...

IPDs metal clips fix the problem perfectly. I used them.... they were easy to install, and the problem no longer exists... good product

http://www.ipdusa.com/ I worked on mine a couple years ago, still good! <:
    00 V70XC AWD moondust 199K
    08 F250 4X4 gold suprcab 70K
    VCOA