Default Imported post

Hi All,

A couple of questions (which I hope are not too lame).

There are a couple of items on my 2002 XC that I am trying to get more info about and my dealer here in NZ is being less than useless.

Specifically:

1) I have a HU 613 stereo but I am not sure if I have the external amp and what speakers I have. Does any one know how I can tell? I have read the amp is usually under the passengers seat but cannot find anything there. However considering the quality and level of performance I would be very surprised if I do not have an amp. Also I am interested to know what level of speakers I have so I can decide whether or not to upgrade.

2) When I tow my boat my car "appears" to be self levelling but I have not ordered this as an option. Maybe it is just the normal shocks working very well. Anyone got any ideas how I can tell if I do or dont have autolevelling installed?

ANy help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
    Neil
    '02 XC / Polartic Blue Exterior/ Charcoal Interior/ Mudflaps / Nivomat / Ipod / Aluminium Trim / Removable Towbar / Rubber Mats / HU613 with AMP and premium speakers / 18 ft Boat

Default Imported post

If you are happy with the sound, do not make an upgrade. Simple as that. Even the standard Volvo speakers are quality speakers with good paper cones. Paper is one of the best materials for speakers cones, and when you like the sound - stay with that. The premium speakers are less effective (-3dB), that is why they need an additional amplifier (this is not 100% true. On the other hand they can handle more power without a possibility to blow-up.(or less possibility.
    If you haven't found any amplifier under the passenger sit, you do not have any other amplifier, than that integrated in the radio. This is 4x25W amplifier, and many people report, Ab_Fab too, that the sound out of that is surprisingly good. I am using Hu-403 with standard speakers and CD-Changer and I am very happy with the sound. I am not going to upgrade. If you consider that, thou, Please listen to the system you want to buy before you make any decision. Listen to the music you frequently listen on a quality equipment, and try to compare. I tend to believe, that price difference is not worth of potential gain in sound reproduction quality. You can achieve more, by tweaking the equaliser settings in the radio hidden menu, than to upgrade.
    Nivomat: Empty the car. Measure the distance from the road to the trunk. Load the trunk with 150-200 kg of any load. Measure the distance again. Drive with the car 2km. Measure the distance from the road to the trunk. If the distance is much closer to the first measure (empty car) than to second (loaded) - you have a Nivomat.
    trzesnk
    is: Titan Grey 2007 D5 BSR tuned
    was: Nautic Blue 2002 2.4T BSR tuned

Default Imported post

Hi again Trzensk,

Boy I should be paying you for all this help!!!

Again thanks heaps. I have solved the amp question, it is under my drivers seat! Being in NZ the right hand seat is the drivers seat where as in NA it would be the passenger seat. I agree with your comments on the speakers.

Thanks also on the Nivomat answer. I will try this but I suspect I do have it (maybe it is standard on the NZ 02 models?) The reason thought I had it was that after driving for about 1km when towing my boat, when I stopped for some lights I looked in the rear view mirror and saw the boat literally lift about 6 inches (very wierd to see). However when I have attached my boat at home there has been no difference. I guess I need to drive a bit before the Nivomat comes into play.

Cheers again
    Neil
    '02 XC / Polartic Blue Exterior/ Charcoal Interior/ Mudflaps / Nivomat / Ipod / Aluminium Trim / Removable Towbar / Rubber Mats / HU613 with AMP and premium speakers / 18 ft Boat

Default Imported post

Yes, you need to drive about 1-2km, and more bumps are on the road, the shorter the distance. This is because vertical car movements are used to "pump" rear dumpers.
    trzesnk

Unhappy Imported post

Is there any other way to find out if you have that?
    01 XC Black/full

Default Imported post

Hi,

Best of luck with your new car!  Regarding you stereo system.  There are several posts which describe hidden menus which can change the equalizer settings of your stereo.  This can REALLY make a difference in the quality of the sound.

Basically you turn the stereo off. Press and hold the source button down as you turn the power back on.  After about 5 second the display will show each speaker's setting one at a time.  The range is 1-6.  You can adjust each speaker from its original setting (normally 2-3) by turning the Source button and move on to the next speaker by pressing the Source button.

Hope I didn't confuse you, it's late.

Steve
    2005 XC 42,500 miles .....and gone
    Barents Blue with Taupe
    Premium
    Convenience
    Climate (no IAQS, damn....damn)

Missing (but not as much as before) the 2002 XC 42K
    Platinum Green with Taupe
    Premium
    Convenience
    Climate

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is there any other way to find out if you have that?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Here in Poland (and I think in the whole Europe (?)) your car is manufactured according to your order (specification). So you should know what you have ordered. On other markets your dealer should know a detailed specification of every car. This is the best from easy methods. One can consider checking part numbers on rear dumpers, but I do not know where they are printed and wether you can see it easily...
    trzesnk

Default Imported post

Hi 1Lieutenant,

Thanks, yes I found the post about the secret menus a while ago and this did make a huge difference in the sound quailty. Dont know about you but it would be great to be able to set and save different equalizer settings for different sources (e.g. radio and CD). This feature seems standard on many &quot;average&quot; aftermarket head units.

P.S. Just to let you know that after I told my dealer I seemed to have Nivomat, he said he seemed to remember seeing some correspondence saying all 02 XCs now have this as standard . However on past performance I would not rely on this info.

Cheers
    Neil