Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AWD Bad Noise

No, it is a distinct grinding noise that only occurs when the awd system is being stressed where power transfers are necessary. The only power steering sound that I have heard is a light whine when the wheel is cranked over all the way.

Can't find the post right now but it is over there if anyone else wants to take a look. Hate it when I don't bookmark stuff like this!
    White 1998 V70 XC Stock for NOW!

Dreams-
    Finish Stage 0, iPD ECU, EST/iPD Dual Exhaust, downpipe, 16T, rear wing, iPD sways, Quickbrick end links, strut brace. I think that will make a pretty fun XC-R!

If I had to compare it to something, I'd say the sound in question is similar the the noise you'll here when your ABS engages.

I noticed the same noise when the the left front wheel looses traction.....
    A friend at Volvo in Mississauga said it's common....the noise is louder if you have tires with poor tread due to the ease of traction loss..... he said don't worry about it.....normal for these cars

That just doesn't seem right. I thought that volvo had designed their awd system to function with out the driver noticing any change in operation. Just doesn't seem like their should be a nasty grinding noise every time i spin a wheel on a patch of ice. But if that is the way it is then I can at least have a little peace of mind in knowing that my bevel gear is not toast.
    White 1998 V70 XC Stock for NOW!

Dreams-
    Finish Stage 0, iPD ECU, EST/iPD Dual Exhaust, downpipe, 16T, rear wing, iPD sways, Quickbrick end links, strut brace. I think that will make a pretty fun XC-R!

That`s the TRACS system i think. Operating via ABS. It helps to not spin-out wheels (it`s supposed to do so) on slipery surfaces. It operates under 40km/h if i remember correct. Check owners manual about this sistem.
    I have V70 AWD `97 with switch in front panel wich turns this system. And guess what - no more noise. Sometimes this system help, sometimes not

Sorry for my english
    Last edited by kloons; 03-07-2007 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by kloons View Post
    That`s the TRACS system i think. Operating via ABS. It helps to not spin-out wheels (it`s supposed to do so) on slipery surfaces. It operates under 40km/h if i remember correct. Check owners manual about this sistem.
    I have V70 AWD `97 with switch in front panel wich turns this system. And guess what - no more noise. Sometimes this system help, sometimes not

Sorry for my english
    Tracs makes no noise

Maybe i have something broken in this system.
    When i turn of TRACS - after spin-out there is no noise.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Oh and is it normal for a shop to charge you for checking and diagnosing a CEL? i got slapped with a 45 dollar charge just to have them turn off a check engine light that was tripped when I cleaned my MAF the other day. I am afraid of what they might charge me to turn off the routine service light that is now on.
    Wow, I had no idea about that, mine does it for free.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12