View Poll Results: So who twists their own wrenches?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Level 1 - Basic (oil change)

8 7.77%
  • Level 2 - Intermediate (suspension bushings)

55 53.40%
  • Level 3 - Advanced (engine/tranny swap)

30 29.13%
  • Level 4 - Owner (I only drive it)

10 9.71%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Favorite neighbor

RedXC,

I bet all your neighbors with Volvo's' want to be your best friend.

Default Past Tense

I used to do my own work. I did an engine and tranny swap in a 745ti before. Then I got a good paying job... It went downhill from there. I have little time to work on my cars anymore, and I can afford not to. I still love to get dirty and do some stuff. ie; I plan on replacing my brakes next month and save about $500 bucks!
    Volvodad3

2001 V70 XC (my daily)
    117k and counting!
    Ash Gold/Sand
    Loaded! minus Nav, 3rd seat and Premium stereo.
    Scorpion's
    Cross Bars
    Tint (not an official 'mod')

99.5 VW Jetta TDi (Hers)
    2002 GMC Savanna 3500 (Work)
    93 Cadillac Eldorado (gone, but still in the family)

tffft....Level 2, over?

rodrigo
    Notre équipe, c'est couleuvre...et dans couleuvre il-y-a le mot cool. Alors, on va ce la jouer plutôt cool...que Vipère

I do anything that I possibly can to save money! Volvo's are definitely a new breed for me but I am slowly getting aquinted with all of the mechanics.

I've owned a Land Rover, BMW, Subaru, Honda, Suzuki GSXR and a Chevy work truck. Each one is different as far working on it. I think the most time involved is just spent reading up on each vehicle and trying to search for the problems. Once you actually get wrenching, if you've done your homework everything usually is pretty straight foward.

KEVIN

Have to do as much as I can. Inherited the car from my beloved wife. She had poured a ton of green down the drain with this car. You would almost think that the car was a boat, pouring money down a hole. Do oil changes, pulled the ABS module and sent it to Vic Rocha(easy and saved a bunch), changed fuel filter(easy), changed out the master window control panel after I messed it up(easy). Getting ready to do my first tune-up and auto transmission flush. Looks easy. We'll see. Dealer ship just wants way too much for parts and labor. Love driving the car though and as long as I can cut down on the costs will keep it.

I do what i can in the space i have with the tools i have. But i have a few friends who are a little more knowledgable than i am, so i bring them over to help with major stuff

1999 XC70 62k miles, I love finding people with cars they have no idea what they are.

Right now, I haven't gotten into the engine tranny sway, but that's coming. The ex just reported some trans slipage in the 99 V70 so I'll do a trans fluid flush, replace the filter and see what happens. If it continues, I'll get a used trans and swap it. I'm taking auto courses at the local community college and have access to the lifts.

I'm starting an engine block service class, including cylinder heads, and I'm going to be servicing one of my Mercedes engines, a 60's 6 cyl, because I have a 65 MB 220S, and it needs help.
    W Bain, 2002 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (P71), 1989 Mercedes Benz 300SE (W126), 1999 Volvo V70 (ex-wife's, non-XC, Poaching occasionally), 89 Mercedes Benz 420SEL (W126), 1965 Mercedes Benz 220Sb (W111).

I wouldn't let a stealership or shop work on any of my vehicles.
    I work on anything and everything including custom building engines.

Volvo is my life...

It's a hobby, job, & pass time.... sad but true

I'd vote for an intermediate rank - head gaskets, water pumps. Not full engine replacement, but a bit more than strut-changing.
    2000 V70 XC SE
    165,000 miles and runs great.
    Total repair costs over last 65 months: $720 (about 1.5 car payments);
    Best single tank mileage ever: 32.8; Average mileage: 22.2; City: 18

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast