Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Trade-In versus Purchase Price Amounts

Did a bit of research and here's the best that I can figure in terms of trade-in value compared to actual purchase price for our XC70's.

The trade-in number came at C$22k to 26K for an '04 with 92,000 km on the odometer. Using Auto-Trader for a cross-Canada search of XC70's between 70,000 to 90,000 km resulted in 8 vehicles with an average 86,000 km priced at C$34,000. Since these are mainly dealer listings, I'm guessing at a 90% actual price % or C$31,000 as the average purchase price. That makes sense given the trade-in value - a markup of 30% ($31,000/$24,000 average trade-in value).

Given CP Rail's past intransigence, it looks like I may be looking for a new vehicle!

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Default Just a thought.

Hey John,

Don’t know what the status is with your current dealer, but it might be worth the drive north to check out the competition.

As an example, there was a $7,000 disparity with respect to trade-in value for our '01 between dealers.

Hope to see you in a new ride if everything works out.

Wink There's a trade-in value and more...

There is always some kind of game played when you enter a dealership and want to trade-in you car.

As an example, when we bought our used MY'92 Honda Accord back in 1993 from a GM dealer, we paid CAD$15,500 for it. To make a long story short, at that time, I knew who was the previous owner and I called him right before buying the car. He told me the dealer gave him $17,000 as trade-in value for it. So, I presume, instead of giving him a lower price for his brand new 1993 Buick, the dealer just gave him a higher trade-in value.

So, when you buy a car, remember that there's always many "prices" involved:
    the MSRP, the invoice price, the trade-in price and the who-knows-how-much-you-pay-for-your-new-ride price!
    Raynald
    Former owner of a 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue
    Sept 2003 - April 2007
    « Sold » with 167,427 km on the clock, to my stepson...
    Still proudly showing volvoXC.com Sticker for posterity !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12