Thread: Abs Module

Default Abs Module

Ok so I have all of the symptoms that the abs moduule is failing, but I have also read that it could be related to the etm. Should I go and try the upgrade for the etm before changing the abs module? Also if I have to change the abs module I have found a couple of people online that claim to rebuild them is that recommended or should I have a local mechanic just replace it?
    Thanks

Default ???ABS = ETM problem

What are your symptoms? I've never heard that the ABS module light is indicative of an ETM failure but then you did't say if a light is on. Key would be the OBDII Codes that are set in the car. If you or someone you know has a reader you can get those codes and determine if what's happening. Go get the ETM update if you want (I'm having it done today) but I don't see how that would impact your ABS system if that's really the problem. Suggestions on the board seem to point to several folks you can find on-line that will do a rebuild of the ABS module at a very reasonable cost and make it better than new. Cost much lower than replacement. It's really up to you and while being repaired it's not like you've lost your brakes...only AntiLock capability. I haven't had the issue but from a lot of feedback here at the board that seems to be the perferred method of fixing if not under warrrenty. Good luck.
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

obd2 scanner cant read ABS codes, they read EMISSION codes unless they have VOlvo's codes built in
    98 XC
    04 Z

Actually, OBDII readers (reader dependent) can read both:

From the following link:

http://www.obdii.com/background.html

Proprietary Sensor Readings

Though not part of the EPA's OBD II standard, the diagnostic read-outs used by dealership technicians are also read through the OBD II connector. These service codes show you such things as knock sensor operation, FI pulse width, ignition voltage, individual cylinder misfires, transmission shift points and ABS brake condition. There can be over 300 readings available, depending on the vehicle manufacturer and model. Vehicles vary in the readings they will support. Scanners vary widely in the number of these signals that they can read. Some show just the basic OBD or OBD II signals, others show the full range of service codes.

Default ABS Module Refurb/Repair Experience

Quote Originally Posted by gxwalters
    Also if I have to change the abs module I have found a couple of people online that claim to rebuild them is that recommended or should I have a local mechanic just replace it?
    Thanks
    I recommend rebuild/repair/refurb. I used Auto & Truck Electronics (http://www.autoecu.com/) to repair my '98 ABS Module (they are the OEM) and had decent service. I have a few gripes (it took 2 days longer than they said it would to repair the module, the repaired module arrived damaged, and then they sent a replacement out ground eventhough I had previously paid for 2-day shipping b/c I needed it back in fast), but their price ($115 plus shipping) is better than the guy in California and the module works as it should. My mechanic quoted me $600 to replace with new.

Did the removal and reinstallation myself - about 30 minutes to remove (working very slowwwwly) and 10 to reinstall using the instructions from the CA shop. Found the torx socket no problem at Schucks. A much better option in my opinion but if you don't have the time to get dirty, ask your mechanic if he'll work with the company above to get a refurb. Good luck.
    Last edited by seaczar; 05-30-2006 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Better info