Default "dirt" smell on ac

Hi

for the last few days I noticed that there is a particular smell coming out from the a/c vents inside the cabin. It smells like dry dirt (air recirculation is 100% of the time on).

Could it be a bad thing? I used to have an S70, and something similar happened... a couple of months later, the evaporator had to be replaced.

Coincidence? any filter needed to be replaced? (it currently has 62,000 miles on!!)

Thanks in advance

Tato!

Just a few things that I do...

Only use recirculation when needed to avoid outside smells, fresh air is good.

Make sure that the AC leaves a puddle of water on the ground. If not the drain is plugged and the AC will get smelly. This is usually the cause of odor.

Try to dry out the AC. Turn off the AC compressor and run the fan on high (non-recirculate) for awhile while you drive. Do it on a nice day so your windows can be down.

Also, some models run the AC fan for a few mins after about 30 ins of being turned off so that the air ducts are dried out.
    2000 F350, 4x4, Crewcab, 7.3L Turbo Powerstroke Diesel
    2005 XC90 2.5T OSD 06/2005

Quote Originally Posted by tato_c
    Hi

for the last few days I noticed that there is a particular smell coming out from the a/c vents inside the cabin. It smells like dry dirt (air recirculation is 100% of the time on).

Could it be a bad thing? I used to have an S70, and something similar happened... a couple of months later, the evaporator had to be replaced.

Coincidence? any filter needed to be replaced? (it currently has 62,000 miles on!!)

Thanks in advance

Tato!
    1998 Volvo S70 has a recommendation of pollen filter change intervals of 20,000 miles. The 1999-00 S70's the recommendation was changed to every 15,000 mile service intervals. All of these model years share the same filter and location. It has been my experience that they need to be replaced at 10-15K miles as they get packed quickly with use. Either way, at 62,000 miles I am quite sure you need to replace it as the odor is most likely caused by the organic build up upon it.

I had a similar problem with my 04 XC90. Turns out the recirc fan was not coming on after shutting off the car (it should come on 45min after the car is shut off to dry the evaporator coil out). I tested it was working by placing a piece of tissue over the front vents in the car and coming out about an hour later and they were "blown" off the vents by the fan coming on, and it also cured the moldy smell when getting back in the car after driving it with the a/c on.