Default Imported post

Okay, I had my first oil/filter change today at 2,300 miles today. I asked the service consultant about getting the metal cargo barrier (the one that flips up and down). He recommended against installing one because he said it was designed poorly and after a few flips it breaks. He said his dealer has received tons of complaints about this accessory so they are now telling people to stick with the nylon net that comes with the XC as a standard equipment. If you have this accessory on your XC, what is your experience with it? I have a dog and want a flip up metal barrier very badly...
    2002 Volvo V70 XC, Ash Gold, Taupe/Brown Leather Interior
    1993 Volvo 850 GLT, White, Graphite Leather Interior

Angry Imported post

Hello MagicDragon,

I have it and i installed it myself and have been using it for about 3 months. Have not had any problems thus far!!

NEW - 03' Blue XC90

SOLD - '02 XC70 - BLK - Sand
    Sub, Rear Skid, Trailer Hitch, Engine Skid, XM, Rear seat cooler, center seat pouch, Premium Package

Default Imported post

Hi Combustion,

I didn't know it was a user installable accessory.  Did it involve any drilling against the roof?
    2002 Volvo V70 XC, Ash Gold, Taupe/Brown Leather Interior
    1993 Volvo 850 GLT, White, Graphite Leather Interior

Default Imported post

not in my xc. If you look there should be little plastic fittings that look like 2 holes up in the top. There are also the same plastic holes in the grab handles in the back seats. That way you can move the barrier up to the front if you have the back seats down.

To install, all you do is line up the holes then turn the lock(screw) to the lock postion.

Hope this helps.
    NEW - 03' Blue XC90

Sub, Rear Skid, Trailer Hitch, Engine Skid, XM, Rear seat cooler, center seat pouch, Premium Package

Default Imported post

The same (or at least the same design) of metal barrier is used by Volvo since 200 series (roughly 25 years, then 700, 900). I see a lot of them here, AND NEVER HEARD ABOUT ANY PROBLEMS FROM ANY USERS. I have one in my new Volvo too. I do not expect any problems with it, as previously I didn't.

You can easily install it yourself. But be very careful when inserting it into side holes. You can easily scratch the plastic covers there, which looks bad then... Actually I prefer to do it myself, carefully, than to give it to a dealership. This kind of job is normally done by least experienced servicemen, and sometimes they do not care to much...
    trzesnk
    is: Titan Grey 2007 D5 BSR tuned
    was: Nautic Blue 2002 2.4T BSR tuned

Default Imported post

I had this barrier in my 1999 XC.  Attaches easily and flips out of the way when not needed.  It NEVER gave me any problems.  It kept my Labs in the back instead of all over the place.  HIGHLY recommended.  I will be getting a new one soon for my 2002 XC.  

This is one product that Volvo seems to have cornered the market on.  I have not seen a factory product for other wagons.

Steve
    2005 XC 42,500 miles .....and gone
    Barents Blue with Taupe
    Premium
    Convenience
    Climate (no IAQS, damn....damn)

Missing (but not as much as before) the 2002 XC 42K
    Platinum Green with Taupe
    Premium
    Convenience
    Climate

Default Imported post

HI ,

In Spain metalic barrier is included in as a serie equipment. I´m very satisfied too. I´ve got a rottweiler and think is the best to carry dogs also gives strong protection in case of accident .
    Any problems in 14 months  

Regards,
    Javi ´01 XC.

Default Imported post

I'm convinced.  I was thinking about getting one but wasn't sure.  You guys should be earning commissions.

Wayne

Default Imported post

You can send me a check, pm me for info!!

NEW - 03' Blue XC90

Default Imported post

I have the metal folding cargo barrier in a 1996 850 Turbo wagon and it works great with my two dogs. It is solid and works outstanding!
    Go on a Journey for Life...
    " See Europe by Volvo "
    Click to take the first step