Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Got IPOD Adapter Today

Quote Originally Posted by barrysharp
    The kit does come with Volvo instructions and they're pretty accurate.

When the iPod is connected to the Adapter all controls on the iPod are locked and become non-functional. Because of this it makes no sense to locate the iPod for easy access unless you find the need to alway remove it when leaving the car for mobile personal use etc.

I have the Navigation system and this means all the connections for the kit can be made in rear of cargo area behind the DVD Reader. I simply routed the Adapter cord that connects to the Apple iPod back to the rear most side cubby hole on left side - the one used for accessing the rear tail lights etc.

If you don't have Navigation or Sirius radio prep it will be necessory to remove/pull HU to make connections to its rear ports. The Adapter could I suppose be located near HU and then place the Apple iPod in Glove box or the center console's arm rest box (where Volvo instructions say to put it). Pulling the HU and center console is a PITA (ie a real pain and much work).
    Barry

I received my adapter kit in the mail this morning. I've read through all the directions, they seem pretty straight forward. The one thing it really never takes about is the installation of the long MELBUS cable (no sat/nav on my car) back up to the headunit. I assume since it talks about removing the console and radio/ac unit that it just plugs into the back of the headunit? Since you really don't have to use the IPOD controls it seems like it would be much easier to leave the ipod in the rear left cargo compartment.

Thanks

Marco
    XC70 MY2005 US AshGold/Taupe/Prem/Climate
    Seoul, Korea

Default ipod adapter in europe (spain)

The adapter for ipod that sells in USA works perfectly in espaņa, for what also in the rest of europa. if someone wants to know mas, they can be contacted with me.
    I have bought it in ituses and today has come to me, I have installed it, it is simple enough and without complications and works to thousand marvels

Default barrysharp

Quote Originally Posted by marco
    Barry

I received my adapter kit in the mail this morning. I've read through all the directions, they seem pretty straight forward. The one thing it really never takes about is the installation of the long MELBUS cable (no sat/nav on my car) back up to the headunit. I assume since it talks about removing the console and radio/ac unit that it just plugs into the back of the headunit? Since you really don't have to use the IPOD controls it seems like it would be much easier to leave the ipod in the rear left cargo compartment.

Thanks

Marco
    Well I got my Volvo IPOD adapter installed this morning at the Volvo Service Center here in Seoul. It took them about 2.5 hours to install it. I had them leave the white ipod wire back in the rear left electrical access area and will have my ipod there instead of the center consol. It sits right behind the access cover and it frees up the consol for other stuff. They charged me $100 which I thought was okay since I'm sure I would have broken a plastic clip or something. The adapter works very well, the only thing I have found you can't do is fast forward within a song, which is no big deal. You can only have 10 or maybe 9 playlists which is more then I normally use anyway. I normally only listen to audiobooks but now I might have to add some music since the quality is so much better then the Monster FM thingy.
    Seoul, Korea

Default Interesting, but...

What am I missing, guys? I've been a Volvo owner for a while and an iPod owner since the first generation came out. I love both, but I don't quite get the value of marrying the two in the way that it sounds some of you have. Without photos, I am having a tough time imagining where the iPod actually sits when all is said and done. My iPod is used for three purposes:

1. To bring lots of good music with me to work.
    2. To bring lots of good music with me on the road.
    3. To bring lots of good music with me while travelling.

Sometimes, this good music is an audiobook or a podcast, by the way. I am not one to make playlists. I prefer to listen to whole albums and to switch albums, songs, and artists whenever I feel like it. And, since my commute is only about 30 minutes each way, it doesn't make sense for me to commit the iPod to near permanent residence in the car. It doesn't sound like the setup provided by the Volvo iPod adapter will allow me to continue to use my iPod this way, at least when I use it in the car. Am I wrong? I hope so because I would love to get rid of the cassette adapter I've been using.
    A Volvo with some stuff in it

That's why I use the USA-Spec device and keep the iPod in the glove box. I use it in direct mode so I can select what I want to hear, and it's easy to disconnect when I want, certainly no less convenient than unplugging a tape adaptor. For that matter I don't have a tape player and the direct connection sounds better too.

Default ChewSuk

The Volvo adapter Ipod connection is actually meant to be installed in the center consol, I just preferred to have it in the rear out of the way since one itunes setup usually last 4-6 weeks or more..... The interface works seamlessly, just like a cd changer would work. If it was in the consol it would be just like plugging it in anywhere else (easier access). I use my ipod almost exclusively for audiobooks so playlists are better for me. If you open up your rear hatch just inside on the left (right behind the left tail light) there is a access panel that is where the ipod sits, easy access and out of the way.

Happy ChewSuk (Korean Thanksgiving, the biggest Holiday of the year in Korea)
    Seoul, Korea

Does USA Spec have a NAV compatible unit yet?

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

I don't think they do but I had the impression from a thread on Swedespeed that they were working on it.

Question IPOD purchaser

I have read the various posts re ipods. but am confused in a few respects.
    I have a new xc70 on order for delivery early '06 and it will NOT have sat nav or cd changer (basically the base car) with a rear seat and rain sensor. I reside in Australia where the ipod adaptors are not sold. I am visiting the US later this year and can have a kit delivered to me while there. my confusion lies in what cables etc. i also have to buy (from what i have read it seems like melbus cable 2 is the one for me but then someone also mentioned ipod cable - i presume this comes with the kit) . I figure i will get it from the autoaccessory site mentioned in other posts.

cheers
    maxy

Default maxy

Quote Originally Posted by maxy
    I have read the various posts re ipods. but am confused in a few respects.
    I have a new xc70 on order for delivery early '06 and it will NOT have sat nav or cd changer (basically the base car) with a rear seat and rain sensor. I reside in Australia where the ipod adaptors are not sold. I am visiting the US later this year and can have a kit delivered to me while there. my confusion lies in what cables etc. i also have to buy (from what i have read it seems like melbus cable 2 is the one for me but then someone also mentioned ipod cable - i presume this comes with the kit) . I figure i will get it from the autoaccessory site mentioned in other posts.

cheers
    maxy
    Since you have been reading the posts you know I ordered the adapter from Borton in the USA. My car has no cd changer, nav system or sat radio prep.
    I ordered the adapter and also one long cable that connects to the back of the radio head unit from the adapter. I'll have to bring home the directions that came with the kit and will post the p/n's, there was also a very short cable that connected to the adapter and provided power. I took the included directions down to my local (Seoul, Korea) Volvo service center and they had no problem installing it. I can't say enough about how good the system is and how well it works, it sounds exactly like a cd player would. It's great!

marco
    Seoul, Korea

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast