Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Child seat in the middle, safe ?

I went through all posts on this very useful forum about child seats, LATCH, ISOFIX. I've been searching all the web to find an answer. Unfortunately, I didn't find a real answer regarding safety.

So, is it safe or not to install a rear facing convertible child seat on the rear middle passenger seat using LATCH ? In the Volvo owner book, they don't even talk about LATCH, at best a few words only about ISOFIX. But I think ISOFIX and LATCH are the same thing.

The child seat is a Eddie Bauer omega Deluxe 3 in 1. It took me some time to choose between this one and the Britax. The britax was too bulky for this little girl

Thank

Thomas
    Volvo XC70 2004, Nautic Blue metallic, Sport PKG (DSTC, Xenia, Bi-Xenon, ZF Servotronic) VNS, rear Skid Plate, Thule evolution

Default LATCH Seats

I think that so long as there are LATCH hooks in the center it should be ok. However if you are talking about using one hook from the left passenger seat and one from the right it would be best to consult an expert. I see you live in Quebec, which is a major metro center. In the US most metropolitan police departments have a few officers that have received special baby seat training so they maybe able to answer your questions. Another source would be hospitals that deliver a lot of babies. Many such hospitals in the states have a few employees that have had the training.

As the parent of a 2-year-old and 3-month-old I do know one thing. LATCH is a wonderful advancement in baby seat safety and simplicity

Default Question for you

I see your XC has the optional dynamic stability control. How does this feature differ from the standard traction control?

Quote Originally Posted by thomaslally
    I went through all posts on this very useful forum about child seats, LATCH, ISOFIX. I've been searching all the web to find an answer. Unfortunately, I didn't find a real answer regarding safety.

So, is it safe or not to install a rear facing convertible child seat on the rear middle passenger seat using LATCH ? In the Volvo owner book, they don't even talk about LATCH, at best a few words only about ISOFIX. But I think ISOFIX and LATCH are the same thing.

The child seat is a Eddie Bauer omega Deluxe 3 in 1. It took me some time to choose between this one and the Britax. The britax was too bulky for this little girl

Thank

Thomas
    No you cannot safely use the latch anchors in the center position. The angles create a much higher load. http://www.southeastclimbing.com/faq...hor_forces.htm

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

To be used safely, LATCH anchors must be 11 inches or LESS apart from one another. Using the inside anchors from both the left and right LATCH sets in the back does not meet safety requirements. Per our Graco childseat, I had to use the center seat belt with the H shaped metal seatbelt locking piece that came with the child seat.

I researched the exact same issue for our, now 9 month old, daughter. I know some have doubled up and used the center belt as well as the LATCH hooks.

I imagine you are thinking, "How in the world can Volvo not put LATCH in the middle seat when it's known to be the safest place for an infant/child?". Frankly, for a company so concerned with safety, I'm shocked they missed this one. It would be a cheap addition to add a third latch setup in the center. Cars that cost WAY less than this one have it. I did read a report that indicated that LATCH simply provides an easier way to properly mount a childseat. It isn't any safer than a seat that is properly installed with a seatbelt.

Based on what I've read, properly installing the seat in the center with the seatbelt would be more safe than using the latch on either side. If you do use LATCH on the side I believe the passenger side of the car is safer (opposing side of oncoming traffic, least likely to get hit when going through an intersection) You can get the installlation checked by CHP, Local Police, Babies R Us. There should be some local agency that performs the checks for you.
    Last edited by adamc; 07-19-2005 at 11:24 AM.
    2004 XC70,Black/Taupe Leather, Premium, Touring, DTSC, Bi-Xenons
    1988 BMW 528e, Engine, 4 tires
    1991 Mazda 323, *STBDOC
    * (Soon To Be Driven Off Cliff)

Just wondering what people use for latch attachments.

I use one on either side of the kids' seat, and then run one under the headrest to a hook on the back of the seat. Is this correct? If not, what is that hook for? Do people go under the headrest or around it? Just curious.

Are child seats OK to use in the way back with the optional jump seats back there?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Just wondering what people use for latch attachments.

I use one on either side of the kids' seat, and then run one under the headrest to a hook on the back of the seat. Is this correct? If not, what is that hook for? Do people go under the headrest or around it? Just curious.

Are child seats OK to use in the way back with the optional jump seats back there?

Thanks.
    you want the lines to run as straight as possible for the tether anchor.
    you cannot use a childseat in the third row area.

remember LATCH anchors for most seats/kids are only good to 45lbs. At that point you have to go back to a seatbelt. check your manual for the specs.

Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

VolvoClub ofAmerica

Quote Originally Posted by adamc
    To be used safely, LATCH anchors must be 11 inches or LESS apart from one another. Using the inside anchors from both the left and right LATCH sets in the back does not meet safety requirements. Per our Graco childseat, I had to use the center seat belt with the H shaped metal seatbelt locking piece that came with the child seat.

I researched the exact same issue for our, now 9 month old, daughter. I know some have doubled up and used the center belt as well as the LATCH hooks.

I imagine you are thinking, "How in the world can Volvo not put LATCH in the middle seat when it's known to be the safest place for an infant/child?". Frankly, for a company so concerned with safety, I'm shocked they missed this one. It would be a cheap addition to add a third latch setup in the center. Cars that cost WAY less than this one have it. I did read a report that indicated that LATCH simply provides an easier way to properly mount a childseat. It isn't any safer than a seat that is properly installed with a seatbelt.

Based on what I've read, properly installing the seat in the center with the seatbelt would be more safe than using the latch on either side. If you do use LATCH on the side I believe the passenger side of the car is safer (opposing side of oncoming traffic, least likely to get hit when going through an intersection) You can get the installlation checked by CHP, Local Police, Babies R Us. There should be some local agency that performs the checks for you.
    You are correct in that LATCH/ISOFIX is just an easier way to get a seat properly mounted in a car. A seatbelt done properly is just as safe.

using the latch anchors in the center should not be done. It will introduce slack into the system when/if they fail. A seatbelt in ALR mode in the center if properly tightened is safer than LATCH on an outboard position. Having the seat on the passenger side also allows you to get your child in and out from the sidewalk.

Did anyone read the article in the New York Times Magazine section this last weekend? It was very interesting and made the point that surprisingly there is 0 data to show that car seats are any safer than seatbelts.

VolvoClub ofAmerica

Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt
    You are correct in that LATCH/ISOFIX is just an easier way to get a seat properly mounted in a car. A seatbelt done properly is just as safe.

using the latch anchors in the center should not be done. It will introduce slack into the system when/if they fail. A seatbelt in ALR mode in the center if properly tightened is safer than LATCH on an outboard position. Having the seat on the passenger side also allows you to get your child in and out from the sidewalk.

Did anyone read the article in the New York Times Magazine section this last weekend? It was very interesting and made the point that surprisingly there is 0 data to show that car seats are any safer than seatbelts.

Actually, I think the good old seatbelt is easier. That said, who goes through and who goes around the rear headrest and why?

Why do you want to use the center position anyway? According to Volvo (there's a safety doc on their Australian web site), any position in the rear seat is equally safe for a car seat, in their cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast