Smile registration question

I apologize if this has been asked before! We just ordered our XC90 through the overseas delivery program here in Japan. We will pick it up in the states in July. The rep here told us we would be responsible for getting the registration done “after” we pick it up. I asked him if we would get a temp tag and he said probably not. Has anyone else had this problem? I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

JapanXC90,
    When we picked up our OSD XC70 in the states in still had the red temporary Swedish plates on it. I got an insurance card from my insurance company and I told the dealer to leave the red temporary plates on. I then went to a local (Pennsylvania) registration agent and registered the car, got the title and a Pennsylvania plate. I think the critical thing is to have an insurance card, with that in your possession along with the temp foreign registration you ought to do fine. Just don't wait weeks to do the local registration.

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Smile thanks

Bill,
    Thanks so much for the information and the quick response. I appreciate it! I will go ahead and take care of the insurance before we leave Japan. We ordered a T-6, before we heard about the V-8, but we are excited nonetheless. Thanks again!
    B

The registration and issuance of a temporary tag will depend upon the state that you will be registering your Volvo in. The US dealership that you take delivery of your Volvo at should be able to help you with the registration of your car. Your Volvo will not have any license plates on it when it is delivered to America. A Military Overseas Delivery purchase which is direct shipped to the US will not have the European red license plates.

William
    Go on a Journey for Life...
    " See Europe by Volvo "
    Click to take the first step

Thumbs up

William and Bill,
    Thanks to both of you for the help. I will put in a call to the dealer tonight so I can get it taken care of before we move.
    B

You should still be able to get the V-8 if you want that instead. I had ordered the T-6 as well but when the V-8 came out I was able to change it. As long as they have not already started on yours you can change it.

Quote Originally Posted by japanxc90
    Bill,
    Thanks so much for the information and the quick response. I appreciate it! I will go ahead and take care of the insurance before we leave Japan. We ordered a T-6, before we heard about the V-8, but we are excited nonetheless. Thanks again!
    B
    Kaiserslautern Scott
    XC-90, Black Sapphire,V-8, Climate, Touring, Convenience, Exterior styling, Nav, Tow, DVD, Xenon

Default Understand the Paperwork!

Quote Originally Posted by japanxc90
    I apologize if this has been asked before! We just ordered our XC90 through the overseas delivery program here in Japan. We will pick it up in the states in July. The rep here told us we would be responsible for getting the registration done “after” we pick it up. I asked him if we would get a temp tag and he said probably not. Has anyone else had this problem? I appreciate any advice. Thanks!
    This month will be our first anniversary having taken delivery of our XC70 in May of 2004.

After touring the western coast of Sweden we dropped off our car back at the factory (FDC) and were shuttled in a taxi (a V70) four our return flight to Dulles (Wash DC).

We bought our XC thru "William" and had it shipped to a dealership (requirement of the OSD program) in Virginia. William arranged through his personal/professional contacts to have our car temp-tagged when we took delivery. It was smooth albeit a long wait with a very figidy two year old under foot at the dealership.

Eckk!! When I took the packet of paperwork to the Maryland MVA for registration one page of the package was not stamped by US Customs at the Baltimore Port Authority. I drove to the port and visited the US Customs office (note to Baltimore folks, the Port of Baltimore THE WHOLE PORT is close for one hour a day; no one in and no one out as best as I could see from the long line awaiting to enter the main gate) .. I drove to the office and got the need stamp.

With the package of paperwork in hand, and the 'stamp' affixed, I was permited to register and drive our XC70 in the state of Maryland for a nominal fee of $120 per year.

Advice: Go over the paperwork at the FDC, take your time and be sure you have it all and understand (take notes if you must) what each sheet means. And when you take delivery the second time, be sure you have all the paperwork and that it has all the stamps and signatures you expect. If you do not know what to expect, ask the FDC person before leaving Sweden.

We love our car, loved Sweden, and even have grown to appreciate the dealership in which we took delivery. And 'William' was the best car saleman I've ever dealt with in my life.

MDD
    '06 XC90 ORE #770, OSD, Convenience & Climate Packages
    '04 XC70, Ruby Red, Premium and Touring Packages (stock OSD) *with* Spoiler, Winged Cross bars and only room for two car seats! 36k miles and rolling
    '99 Ford Taurus, Blue/Gray, 160k