View Poll Results: Which tires would you buy for a 2001 XC that is driven in the mid-atlantic area?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pirelli Scorpion S/T

2 5.88%
  • Pirelli Scorpion STR

22 64.71%
  • Continental ContiPremierContact

5 14.71%
  • Michelin HydroEdge

5 14.71%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Pirelli Scorpion ST & STR Feedback Needed

I have a 2001 XC that needs new tires. The local dealer is highly recommending that I stick with the Scorpion ST model because of the "H" rating. I have heard read some of the comments in the forum about how loud they are. I am also considering the Scorpion STR line.

Any feedback based on experience is greatly appreciated. I am going to post a poll for this form. Use it to let me know if you would buy the Scorpion STs again if you have already had a set.

Thanks & Happy New Year!!

Lightbulb Well...

Take a look at this thread and you'll see where I clicked !

And Happy New Year to you too!
    Last edited by Raynald; 01-01-2005 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Forgot to put the hyperlink...
    Raynald
    Former owner of a 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue
    Sept 2003 - April 2007
    « Sold » with 167,427 km on the clock, to my stepson...
    Still proudly showing volvoXC.com Sticker for posterity !!!

No, I don't work for Nokian. But do a search on "WR", and read what others who have put on the Nokian WR 235/60's think about tire models.

Angry none of the above

Nokian WRs.
    '01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite Leather, Nokian WRs
    '09 XC70/Ice White/Sandstone Leather,VCOA

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Keep the Nokian's in Mind

Raynald, notice that most folks are selecting the STR's. Ours are a pretty good tire, certainly better that the ST's. However, I would buy the Nokian given the recommendations from Gibbons and others.

I lived in Bedford, Quebec (50 miles east of Sherbrooke) for 15 years and conditions there certainly justify an enhanced winter tire. As I actually intend to buy a set of Nokians for winter in Alberta myself, thought I should pass along the info to you.

Salut mon ami. Meilleurs souhaits pour la saison. [Best regards of the season my friend.]

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

I never found the STs to be too noisy. On our 2001 we are on our third set of STs. If I had a choice on the 2005 I would have gone with the ST not the STR.
    If you want a tire with better snow and light trail traction get the ST.
    If you want a tire with better road performance and less noise get the STR.
    The only downside to the ST is wear. I got about 30k miles on each set.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

I use the Hakka Rsi, really goood winter tyre :-)
    Got a 03 XC70 D5 :-)))

I put the STRs on our 2001 a little over a year ago and prefer them greatly over the STs. The ST's were quite noisy (almost as loud as the Scorpion ATs on my Suburban at the time) and the STRs are much quieter. I live in CT where 3" of snow remaining on the road is considered to be clear when it does snow (which is really hasn't yet this year!) and the car has been great for my wife in all weather conditions with these tires.
    '05 Volvo XC70 (SOLD)
    '05 Suburban Z71
    '94 Ford F-350
    '95 LR Range Rover LWB
    '62 IH 602

Default I like the ST's

I had no complaints with the original ST's that the car came with. I got 110,000 km out of them. Pirelli no longer offers the ST's in Canada, but my dealer found a set for me which I happily put on.
    It's a personal preference, but I liked the more aggressive tread on the ST's.
    Andrew
    2002 Volvo XC70 Ocean Race Edition, #1/100 (past ride)
    '05 V70AWD, Sport package, Titanium Grey/Graphite (Retiring at 300,000 km)
    2004 XC70, Nautic Blue (picking it up tomorow!)

dmcdaniel:

I am curious as to WHY the dealer is recommending the ST 'because of the "H" rating'. The STR is rated "V", which is a HIGHER speed rating and thus generally considered to be better. However, higher ratings are often achieved by using softer rubber which usually results in shorter wear (in miles). This was my experience - I got significantly reduced wear from the STR's than the ST's. Consequently, I am always amazed by others in this forum who got the opposite!

I suspect, however, as lww says, it depends on your usage. We make frequent trips to a place that requires traversing several miles of red-rock road. Locals who live there year-round reckon the roughness of the road probably halves their tire wear compared to normal roads.

I suspect the original choice of the ST's was to accommodate Volvo's vision of the XC as a rugged vehicle that might actually be used for "mild" off-roading. The realization most people weren't doing this, together with the numerous complaints about the noise of the tires prompted the switch to the much quieter, more highway-friendly STR's.

Personally, I found the STR a very "sticky" tire that made cornering difficult, and whose high rolling friction resulted in reduced gas mileage. Having tried both, neither seems ideal. On the other hand, the 235/60/16 Nokians WR's we now use seem to combine the best characteristics of each - though I have no illusions about the fact that they too will probable succomb to the red-rock road before their rated time is up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast