Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pluggin' in the 'Pod

OK, all the engineers can laugh at this question...

I just got an iPod (4G/20GB). Which is the better (sounding) method for playing it through my MY2000 radio - FM transmitter or "fake cassette" wired to the iPod" in the radio?

I have a Belkin FM transmitter... music sounds OK, but not great. Before I go and buy the cassette thingie, I have to ask - will it give me any better sound?

Any other suggestions?

I know, I know, "premium sound" in the 1st Gen cars was an oxymoron anyway.

Thanks.
    Last edited by cetaft; 12-16-2004 at 09:08 AM.
    2000 V70 XC SE - Nautic Blue/Beige - Nokians and a bunch of other goodies. VCOA & volvoxc.com stickers.

Default Don't know the rating method, but....

At the bottom of this site is a supposed comparison of the methods for plugging in the iPod. These people are supposed to have a direct connection early next year, but as with all other products like this, seeing is believing. And since we haven't seen anything yet....

http://www.mp3yourcar.com/
    2004 Volvo XC70 - Ruby Red Metallic/Graphite Leather, Premium, Touring, Bi-Xenon, Bluetooth, and iPod Direct Connect
    2011 Honda Pilot EX-L - Silver Metallic/Grey Leather

Thanks. The cassette seems worth a try. Can't be any worse than the FM transmitter, right?

Just got the 'Pod last night & am still trying to figure out the "intuitive" controls and functions.
    2000 V70 XC SE - Nautic Blue/Beige - Nokians and a bunch of other goodies. VCOA & volvoxc.com stickers.

Default I use the itrip and love it...

The sound is stellar, just as long as you keep the volume moderate...

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/

cetaft, better buy the fake cassette somewhere that gaurantees your satisfaction. When in-dash CD players were still a bundle, I got one a fake cassette to stuff in the in-dash cassette player and plug into my son's portable CD (which cost like $300 at the time ) The sound was marginal, it seemed like there was a lot of "tape hiss", even though there was no tape in the process. And there was always too much fumbling around getting the output from the player just right to get the output from the in-dash cassette player in it's mid-volume. We do have an FM transmitter that we used to plug into the laptop so the kids could watch DVDs on longer drives. I would say that given the specific brands of transmitter and fake that we had, the transmitter was much more convenient and sounded better.

The cassette adapter I bought for like $20 at the Apple store works great...I think it's just Panasonic or something. It has a noise-reducing component and I really don't hear any hissing in the music. The key is to find a good volume on your iPod so that you don't hear distortion through your stereo when you're using the stereo volume control.
    2008 Ice White/Graphite Leather XC70
    1986 Vespa T5

Default No iTrip for me.

I had an iTrip and found the FM band far too crowded. Constantly looking for an available frequency rendered it useless in my opinion. I now have a cassette adapter. I don't like the wire dangling down the dash, but the sound is fine and the convenience factor is high.

When is someone going to make a bluetooth adapter?

I have to concur with Rozinante. Here in Chicago, the FM band just has too much going on. I found myself having to fiddle with the frequencies too often. I am satisfied with the results of the cassette adapter.

My other car has no solution and I am planning on changing out my system to an Alpine set up that will integrate the iPod nicely.

John P. Kelly
    John P. Kelly
    [email protected]
    Western 'burbs of Chicago

I've only used a cassette adapter, which is the recommended over the FM transmitters by a number of iPod websites. I like the convenience of the transmitter, though.

As for the sound, I've had a very good experience. The only thing is that you want to volume high on the iPod and then adjust your stereo. If you crank the stereo and the iPod is not very high, you will hear more of the hissing noise.
    A Volvo with some stuff in it

Had a chance to do a comparison of 'Pod to Player devices last weekend on a trip to Boston...

Without a doubt, the cassette adapter gave me better tone, volume, and clarity than the FM transmitter. Thanks, guys!

Only downside with the cassette adapter is it occasionally became stuck in the radio & required a bit of jockeying to eject it without pulling the connecting wire out. Dunno if that's a universal problem or just with my adapter (a Belkin)...

...but it sure beat redirecting the FM transmitter signal each time I hit a bump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast