Default Noises from New '04 XC70

I've had my 2004 XC70 for about 2 weeks now. After putting about 100 miles on it, I started noticing a prominent squeak/whining sound from the car whenever I make a left turn. (It only happens on a left turn; never when driving straight or making a right.) I haven't been able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. It happens intermittently. Has anyone else encountered this?

Also, on 2 occasions, I've heard a metallic, clanging sound when I started the car up. It sounds like metal parts hitting each other. This is also intermittent.

While only intermittent, this is becoming quite annoying given that I've only had the car for 2 weeks. I'm planning to bring it to the dealer soon, but wanted to be armed with more knowledge so that I can discuss it better.

Aside from these noise issues, we love the car! This is also our first Volvo, and we hope this is not a sign of more problems to come....

Lightbulb PS fluid level

Check the power steering fluid level. Low level may result in intermittent noises when turning either left or right. It may also come from a twisted brake disk protective plate rubbing against the disk itself.

As for the other sound, is it audible only when you start the engine or when you start moving? It may be produced by the ABS auto-check feature... not sure.
    Raynald
    Former owner of a 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue
    Sept 2003 - April 2007
    « Sold » with 167,427 km on the clock, to my stepson...
    Still proudly showing volvoXC.com Sticker for posterity !!!

Loose exhaust pipe or clamp?

Several posts recently on that topic.

Mine squeeked over small bumps about a week after I got it, but turns out it was just one of the rear seat latches that needed to be tightened. This doesn't sound like your issue.
    2008 Ice White/Graphite Leather XC70
    1986 Vespa T5

I had a similar problem with my XC70 in its first few weeks of life. The sound was only occuring during turns, particularly at lower speeds. Took it in to the dealer and it was a minor adjustment. I can't remember the specifics, but there were two metal components rubbing together during turns, neither component was damaged, and it didn't take long at all.
    A Volvo with some stuff in it

The same thing happend to my (new to me) 2002 V70 XC. I take corners sharper than most people and heard a griding noise coming from the engine compartment but only when making sharp turns. I didn't notice if it was left or right turns but I just tracked it down to the power steering fluid being low.

The manual says to use ATF type power steering fluid. I'm not mechanic but isn't ATF fluid for Automatic Transmissions?

Lightbulb ATF is okay

Just plain ATF fluid is what it needs. As my mehanic told me, both ATF and PS fluids are the same.
    Raynald
    Former owner of a 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue
    Sept 2003 - April 2007
    « Sold » with 167,427 km on the clock, to my stepson...
    Still proudly showing volvoXC.com Sticker for posterity !!!