Default Imported post

I have noticed that the ability of the HU-613 to pick up AM stations is not as good as the base radio in my Toyota.  In fact, while the HU-613 seems great in many respects, even my old VW was better with AM radio reception.  The major difference between the three systems is that the XC70 is the only one with a diversity antenna.  Does that make any real difference in the radio's ability to pick up certain frequencies?

When I am in on the highway, the AM reception is usually just fine.  It may be a bit tempermental, but I can deal with it.  When I am in a downtown area, whether I am tucked between lots of buildings or not, I usually get lots of inteference in tuning in my favorite AM station.  I'm not an electrical engineer, but I assume that there might simply be an issue with the way the radio waves travel through these kinds of environments and the XC70's ability to pick them up.  Also, it might be that the areas I am driving through happen to also be locations that have electrical power stations or something eles that might be emitting a large amount of "radiation".

Anyone else experience an issue with AM reception?
    A Volvo with some stuff in it

Default Imported post

I too am very particular about AM reception.  I gave the radio (the 613) a good trial run before we purchased the car, as I am usually skeptical about anything other than an external antenna.  To my surprise, I found the AM reception quite good.  I would rate it as well above average for today's cars.  After two years of ownership, I am still very pleased with the AM reception.  Pulls in week stations without noise - stations that I can't get at all in my BMW.

The diversity feature really won't come into play with AM - its main benefit will be for FM.  So I doubt that that is the problem with your reception.  I would suggest asking the dealer to take a look at it - from the way you describe it, it seems that it is not working as well as it should.  I believe that they use a separate AM antenna somewhere in the area of the rear bumper.  Perhaps you just have a cable that has come loose.

Default Imported post

The radio in my 2001 S80 produced a lot of noise in AM on certain stretches of road (particularly a stretch of highway near some large buildings).  The radio in my 2003 XC70 performs fine there.  My fingers are crossed that my new V70 will as well.  Wish I knew why so I could offer a helpful suggestion.
    On the road: Black/Taupe Leather 2004 V70 AWD with Premium and Touring Packages, HU-803 AudioMax, and Xenon Headlamps
    Formerly: Box-Stock 2003 XC70 White/Taupe Leather with Premium and Touring Packages and HU-803 AudioMax (Dec 03-Jan 04)