Default Random Oil Leak On Passenger Side

Hey everybody,

Just recently got a 06 XC as a first car. The previous owner kept great care of the car and had it serviced regularly. After sitting for about a month (due to waiting for my license) I wanted to take the car out for a ride and realized the car had a pretty significant oil leak near the front passenger wheel. I did the glove check and the dipstick check to see if it was the pcv system, but both tests showed the pcv was working fine. So I turned here to see if any of you had the same problem and/or know what it could be? If you do know what it is, how much should I expect to pay to get it fixed, or could it be a diy job? The leak seems to be pretty high in the engine compartment, but none of the belts have any oil on them.

Thanks,

What kind of oil is it? determine the nature of the oil, engine oil or power steering fluid ?
    Current Junk: Couple of worthless rusty old clapped out Volvo bricks, XC70's 02, 04 & Countless P.O.S's, Rust buckets, Junk cars,( 50W Oily cesspool Sludge) Stolen and other assorted rubbish cars, 1928 Jed Clampett Tourer, (8 hole cast iron lump, original rust and decay, 40W Straight Bacon Grease),

It is engine oil for sure

Remove the top timing cover and look behind the sprockets for oil, and on the timing belt itself, see if a camshaft seal is pushed out or leaks. glove test only tells you if it works at idle, under boost pressure it does not apply.
    Current Junk: Couple of worthless rusty old clapped out Volvo bricks, XC70's 02, 04 & Countless P.O.S's, Rust buckets, Junk cars,( 50W Oily cesspool Sludge) Stolen and other assorted rubbish cars, 1928 Jed Clampett Tourer, (8 hole cast iron lump, original rust and decay, 40W Straight Bacon Grease),

How bad is your oil leak? I had a serious oil leak on the passenger underside of my car. Oil would start dripping as soon as I started the engine. My PCV system was clogged even though the car passed the glove test. When I removed the timing belt covers, I could see that a camshaft seal was loose; I could move it with my finger.
    If this is your situation, the PCV will need to be replaced and you'll also have to install a new camshaft seal. It can be a DIY job but it's pretty difficult if you haven't worked on cars before. There's a lot of info on the web so do your research before jumping into the job.
    Here's my thread: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...l-My-Oil-Today!
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

That's where the oil filter is located. It could be something as simple as the oil filter cover (plastic) is cracked, or not tightened properly. Take off the plastic stone guard under the engine, and inspect. If it's the oil filter cover leaking, you'll want to obtain a special tool needed for removing the oil filter cover, plus a new cover + filter. Then, you'll want to drain the oil pan completely, before removing the oil filter.

Tool: LASER Oil Filter Wrench, 87mm with 16 flutes

If this car has been used in a high salt environment (i.e. the sea side) for a good part of its life, check the union where the turbo oil feed line leaves the block. It is right under and a bit behind (as looking from the crank pulley end of the engine) the water pump. On my '02 XC, that union actually developed a pinhole from corrosion and it would leak a litre of oil fairly quickly as it is under line pressure right off the pump. Kind of a bitch to see but its is possible. Replacement line is about $50-60.

Of all times, this leak popped on a test drive by someone who was interested in buying the car. I ended up selling the car to them after I fixed the line but I am glad that it was a short drive and it didn't happen to me on a longer one.

Good Luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

While you're checking things, check under the spark plug/coil pack cover for leaking timing solenoids and leaking oil filler cap.
    Two solenoids on the left side of the valve cover right next to the timing belt. Should be pretty obvious if there is oil on top of the valve cover.