Thread: Coolant Leak

Default Coolant Leak

My 06 has been doing just fine since the crankcase ventilation and VVT issues No more oil leaks! I thought I had noticed a slight loss of coolant in the reservoir, slight enough for me to question myself as to whether or not it had been losing any.

Today I got home from work, the XC was in the driveway and there were two puddles under it. My wife had been out twice during the day, one long trip and one short one. I reached under to see if it was condensate, but both puddles were expensive Volvo coolant.

I put it on ramps, dropped the belly pan, and only found traces of leaked coolant on the engine and on the oil filter. I pulled the top cover for the timing belt, wedged a mirror in and did find coolant crust under the thermostat housing, but that's it. Of course it mixed with condensate in the belly pan, and looked pretty bad.

Tomorrow I am going to run it up on the ramps when it is cold, and let it come to operating temperature to narrow the location down. The banjo bolt under the manifold is snug with no sign of leakage.

Are there other places I should be looking? I don't see anything at the radiator.

Check heater hoses.

Started it from cold this morning, coolant is dripping around the thermostat housing. I have a new complete unit on order, it should arrive on Tuesday. Heater hoses OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Koala View Post
    coolant is dripping around the thermostat housing.
    That is where my 05 leaked a couple years ago. I needed some extra long torx bits to do the job (replacing the thermostat housing unit).
    Last edited by Waterdog; 07-23-2017 at 08:26 PM. Reason: clarity

To get to the lower torx on the thermostat housing, i used a 1/4"swivel on an extension with a 1/4" socket then inserted the torx bit in the socket. A wrap of tape will hold it in place. worked for me.

Yep. Done the thermostat on the XC (but interestingly, not on the T5). A PITA to get at the two bolts that hold it in place. 1/4" drive torx and extensions, a wobble extension, a bit of patience, and a magnetic pick up tool are all required. Carefully clean the mounting surface in the head.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (130K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (58K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (147K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (247K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (300K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (230K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

I got it done today, I did have to make a quick run to Harbor Freight to get the 1/4 inch long Torx bits. That worked great, I'll go for a couple if days minus the belly pan so I can see if it leaks. Hopefully all is well.