Default siren alarm module defective Action

My siren alarm module on my 2001 MY is defective.
    Should I replace, or just inactivate it??
    If I just inactivate, any downsides, like permanent message on console, or makes something else inoperative, or other??
    I do not use the sunrroof at all, and do not have rain-sensitive windshield windows wipers.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by rhauptschein; 06-13-2017 at 02:51 PM.
    09 Toyota Prius, Sprectra Blue
    01 Volvo V70XC, Ice Blue, 7-seater, built 4-01
    85 Ford Country Squire, Beige Woody, V8, ~79K mi [RIP]
    70 Chevy Malibu, Forest Green, V8 (ret)

You've outlined the issues.

But, I will tell you that when I had the same message on my 2002, and on both cars, I disconnected it and everything worked fine for several months. I ultimately replaced the modules on both cars to have the siren work, and everything continued to work. No reprogramming needed in my case.

Also, in my case, both modules had overheated/damaged circuit boards. A battery replacement wouldn't have solved the problem because the boards were toast.

So, for you, I would just disconnect it. See if everything works. If it does, you're done. If you want an alarm siren, then buy one. If the sunroof, or other, issues show up, it's my understanding that VIDA can tell the car to ignore the siren...and in that case, you'll have to weigh the expense of reprogramming vs. the cost of a new module...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (130K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (58K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (147K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (247K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (300K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (230K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

My experience having recently gone thru the Alarm Siren module malfunction:

First signs of problem was alarm going off for no reason in driveway. If you want to try the cheap fix - $15 battery replacement - deal with the problem NOW while the siren still is functioning. What I think happened in my case was that the rechargeable battery was shot, could no longer hold a charge. If you pull the siren now and put in a new battery, you should be good for another 7-10 years (there are tutorials online). I waited because I wasn't sure why my alarm was being triggered.

I think what happened to me is that the battery continued to degrade, and leaked acid on the circuit board doing irreparable damage. The siren was no longer going off but I was getting warnings on my dash, ALARM SYSTEM SERVICE REQ'D, so I eventually pulled the alarm and replaced the battery. Warning message disappeared but unfortunately the alarm siren wouldn't sound when triggered. I figured either circuit board damage from old battery leakage or possibly new battery wires not properly spliced. At any rate, I never really had a need for the alarm in the first place and since I wasn't getting a message on the dash, no worries. Well, maybe 6 months later I went to start the car after it had been sitting for a couple days and car battery was DEAD (reading @9 volts). I hadn't left parking lights on and I couldn't detect any parasitic draw. My best guess is maybe the alarm was triggered but since the siren doesn't work, I didn't hear anything so the Alarm Module was repeatedly drawing current causing the car battery to drain. I got a jump, let the battery charge up to 12+ volts, and PULLED THE FUSE for the alarm module. Now every time I start up car (if doors were previously locked), I get ALARM SERVICE REQUIRED message on dash. I tap the button on the stalk to clear the message and I'm good to go. Error message is no big deal for me and much less of an inconvenience than a DEAD BATTERY!
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Defective siren may affect sunroof operation (they share same physical network) and may drain battery.

Usually about $12 permanent fix if you are OK to use a soldering iron: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...ule-went-south
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

On our '01 the siren does not work ...... But when you lock the car the LED starts blinking on the dash to show that the car has an alarm.

It has been our best deterrent so far.

If they break into it .... They really wanted something.

But there are no messages, battery drain and the sun roof is fully operational.
    2001 X/C 70 - Youngest son's car for someone that is 6'10" tall - and it fits him like a glove.

I too have the alarm system service message, as well as the parasitic battery drain issue. I hope to pull a module off of a wrecked car, crack it open and replace the battery. My local salvage yard practically gives away volvo parts.
    2005 XC70

Quote Originally Posted by Element-X View Post
    I hope to pull a module off of a wrecked car, crack it open and replace the battery. My local salvage yard practically gives away volvo parts.
    Hopefully the module on the wrecked car will still be in good working condition. If the rechargeable battery in that module died and leaked on the circuit board, it may be in the same shape as the one it's replacing. Problem with these alarm modules is I don't think there's a way to test the siren until they're installed in the car. If you're getting parasitic drain from your alarm module, I think you can temporarily stop it by pulling the fuse.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Quote Originally Posted by Xfingers View Post
    Hopefully the module on the wrecked car will still be in good working condition. If the rechargeable battery in that module died and leaked on the circuit board, it may be in the same shape as the one it's replacing. Problem with these alarm modules is I don't think there's a way to test the siren until they're installed in the car. If you're getting parasitic drain from your alarm module, I think you can temporarily stop it by pulling the fuse.
    Yes, I had considered that too. If they only want $5 for the part, which is what I suspect they'll charge me for it, then it's not a huge loss if it does turn out to be dead as well.
    2005 XC70