Thread: Bearing change

Default Bearing change

Morning all,I wonder if one of you kind souls who have done this could give me pointers on the sequence of nut and bolt removal to remove and replace the front left hub on my 2001 xc70.I can see what has to be done but usually there is an easier way and a harder way,I would prefer the former. Thanks in advance.That is of course after removal of wheel, caliper, and rotor.

Actually its a pretty easy operation, the brake caliper and disc is straight forward removal, then the axle bolt, push the axle in on the spline as far as it will go, looking between the space back of the hub are the four bolts that need to be removed, now a 18mm swivel socket, a snap-on or good quality can usually get in there just, a socket with a swivel is too long to fit, and as they need some torque to get them off, HF junk wont do it and not break, once they are out then a hefty slide hammer with a attachment to hook the back of the flange will draw the hub out of its aluminium upright, it will be tight because of oxidation, steel to aluminium. Then the refit is pretty easy just clean the oxidation off, and lubricate the surfaces as if you keep the car long enough you might need to redo it or pull the hub to replace the tone rings, as I had to.
    Last edited by AKAMick; 02-10-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks AKAMick,I'm OK with all of that except for the sliding hammer bit.I don't have one so I'll need to go and rent or borrow one.I just needed to know if there was anything tricky to do on the way lol.After all,it is a Volvo.

I did this job 2 years ago on mine, it was straightforward and dare I say, easy. Getting the hub to release from the knuckle can be tricky, but air tools can make it a snap. I had a $15 Harbor Freight air chisel, I hit the hub where it mates to the knuckle, and BRRRRRRRAAAAAAPPPPP, it was loose. Took no time at all. From the time I had the wheel off, to getting that hub out was about 20 minutes.
    Silver '07 Adventure Series