Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quote Originally Posted by nortons View Post
    Yeah, so far, so good. Took a long time to realize that a lot of info comes from wheel speed sensors up to ABS module, THEN out to ECU, ABS, transmission, etc. ABS module is choke point. If that's not working, all kinds of problems, warning lights, codes, etc, can turn up.
    But it is a fix that can do in an afternoon. I used a hacksaw blade to cut mine open. Bro-in-law soldered the pins, Stuck together with that sticky rtv? stuff. Works well.

Wholesale Transmission in Lancaster (Buffalo) NY rebuilt mine 100,000 mi ago. Runs like a swiss watch with a fresh M1 flush and magnafine filter every 3 yrs.

UPDATE: Sorry for delay, sold car a long time ago and have not been to this forum for at lest a year. So, the used transmission installed with a replacement guarantee from DIEHL Auto Parts worked out great! They flushed it before sale, trans shop that did install gave a great price on labor, ($550 They were trying to get fleet business from Diehl on their trucks, etc). I would DEFINITELY recommend this route to anyone having trouble finding a shop who will do trans work on these cars for anything approaching a reasonable price. As for the in-line filter install; this is easy and cheap insurance. Here's how; buy a remote oil filter bracket, available at any speed shop or auto parts store for around $40-$50 or less. You'll need about 4-5 feet of 3/8 reinforced hose and 2 hose clamps. On mine, (2000 XC70) low, on driver side "frame rail" there were 2 unused threaded holes already there which matched my bracket perfectly for a pair of 8mm bolts. Splice the remote filter into the line going to the oil cooler for the trans on driver, (L/H) side. For the filter; some here have said to use the "Magnefine" product. I say that using a "Pure One" filter is a much better and far cheaper choice for these reasons; 1), The Pure One is available everywhere for less than $10. 2), The pure One has a much finer filter medium than any other filter, 5 microns as I remember. 3) Because the filter is cheaper and easier to obtain, you'll be more likely to change it more often, maybe every other engine oil change or so. 4), The magnetic properties of the Magnefine item can be easily addressed with the spin on Pure One filter by using one of those very strong magnets that go inside an auto trans, (maybe $2 at any auto parts store), and attaching it to the bottom of the filter. It will stick by itself, but a smear of silicone or RTV will insure it won't fall off. When replacing filter, just razor blade it off and stick on the new filter. 5), The Pure One, (or any other filter you may choose to use), has way more capacity than the Magnefine. After replacement trans install and numerous previous attempts to flush, the cooler, lines, trans, etc would be thought to be pretty clean, but at the first filter change, it was substantially heavier than I would have expected, meaning it had filtered out a bunch of goo and sludge. 2nd change, a thousand miles or so later, it seemed a bit lighter, and so on and the fluid remained a clean, non-stinky, red color. After months of labor, I fixed EVERYTHING on this car; every scratch, chip, worn interior trim piece, steering and suspension piece, chassis bushing, EVERY electrical/mechanical issue, cleaned the injectors, replaced the seals, new fuel pressure regulator, 2 new power window motors, new windshield, new front seat leather, tires, brakes, fuel pump, (super PIA!!,), new ignition switch, (another PIA and $$$$!) and a whole bunch more. It was beautiful; perfect paint/interior, drove like a dream, body/chassis tight, no squeaks, leaks or rattles. It looked and drove, like a nearly new car. Went through snow better than any SUV. But, my wife still didn't trust it, wouldn't drive it, didn't like it and bought a mini van. I loved driving it, but had a truck, so sold it for $5250. Still see it driving around occasionally. Would I buy another? Hmmmmm, maybe, but it would have to be CHEAP or extremely clean and well looked after.

Mine has the Shift Solenoid B problem. It used to work when it was cold and the code was erased, then the code would come on and "boom" limp mode. Eventually stopped trying to clear the code.

As its the solenoid, I have been told it will probably shift perfectly once Shift Solenoid B is replaced.

1998 XC

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456