Thread: Cam seals?

Default Cam seals?

Well I think this was answered in another thread last week but here goes.
    2001 XC70 130,000 miles. Driving along last week oil pressure light came on shut it down saw a lot of oil on the timing belt side of the engine rolled down hill to a service station, added 3 quarts of oil started back up seemed fine no spewing out but decided to head back home. Got within about 50 miles of home (about 20 miles from the service station) and oil light started coming on and off (pressure going in and out) shut it down and had it towed to an indy.
    He looked at it today and said it needs a cam seal and PCV which seems reasonable. He says around $1500 for everything. Is there anything else I should be worried about (no knock from car when I shut it down shut down quickly when light came on). The PCV hasn't been done since I've owned it (93k miles) so I'm guessing it never has been. Also reading it sounds like I should shorten my oil changes to under 7k (currently running around 8,500 which I do with most of my cars with Pennzoil synthetic 10-30)

Thanks
    C

Small item but from my own PCV experience, I'm guessing indy will need to drain coolant. Opportunity to flush and replace with new coolant if your mechanic isn't already planning to do so.
    You might want to just confirm that ALL PCV hoses will be replaced (not cleaned out). Might want to confirm that PCV openings/passages in the engine block will be cleaned of carbon deposits/sludge. I "rodded" out these two passages diligently with a steel wire and coat hanger but some forum members take a very thorough approach which requires dropping the oil pan and cleaning upwards from the bottom (if mech isn't already planning to drop pan, this will be more $$).
    Finally, if pan is not dropped and carbon deposits are scraped out from openings above, then deposits will end up in oil and hopefully be trapped in oil filter so might be worth it to do an oil change shortly after XC is up and running (see what mech thinks about this).
    Oh, and this: When was timing belt/tensioner/pulley last replaced?!! If still original, then you're long overdue! Conventional wisdom says even if your belt/pulleys have been replaced (say at 100k), when your cam seal blew chances are good a fair amount of oil got on the timing belt and now your belt is weakened/compromised. Check with your indy if he's planning to replace belt (he's gotta take it off anyway to replace cam seal). At 130k, a new timing belt only with ORIGINAL pulleys could be false security because if those old pulleys give out and stop turning, methinks belt gets shredded and bye-bye engine.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

I started the other cam seal thread last week, I was quoted about $1300 for new seals, new TB and new WP, was debating the PVC so your price seems a little low if the TB and WP are included. I had the PVC system done at 120k. Hopefully you will fair better than I did, after putting new seals, new TB and WP car started and loud knock was heard, further checking resulted in a dead engine. Good luck
    01 XC red 183,000 Death by Cam seals.
    11 VW TDI wagon 126,000
    00 XC Silver- sold
    05 Saab 9-3 Arc Vert 5 speed 83,000
    98 Saab 900 se T- RIP 11/09
    86 Saab 900 T Ragtop- 5 speed

I will have to ask about the timing belt and water pump he just mentioned doing the cam seals would be $1,100 plus another $400 for the PCV. The timing belt was done at 93,000 but not the water pump.

My understanding is when the seal goes oil is shot all over the TB ( or was in my case) I had a new TB and WP done at 147000, ( my car has /had 183,000) and my indie said the chance of the belt jumping or being damaged was high so he changed. $1100 sounds high just for the seals. The WP is done at that time since everything else is out of the way. I am waiting on used engine prices but think mine may be toast.
    11 VW TDI wagon 126,000
    00 XC Silver- sold

Thought I'd give everyone an update. Got the car back today, luckily I had another car to drive. So new cam seals new timing belt tensioners and water pump. New Oiltrap and hoses and cam timing unit (valve adjuster). runs great now $1,680.00 which hurts but hopefully I should be good for 100k miles more on the engine (at 130k now) .

Glad it worked out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mopar4wd View Post
    Thought I'd give everyone an update. Got the car back today, luckily I had another car to drive. So new cam seals new timing belt tensioners and water pump. New Oiltrap and hoses and cam timing unit (valve adjuster). runs great now $1,680.00 which hurts but hopefully I should be good for 100k miles more on the engine (at 130k now) .
    11 VW TDI wagon 126,000
    00 XC Silver- sold