Default coolant leak at upper hose connection

I Have had a slow coolant leak for several months now. a few months ago it needed topped up about a few ounces/month. Now, it's about every couple of days. I thought I had the problem solved as I found the source– the connection at the upper rad hose. So I bought a new hose and hose clamp, now it's leaking more. I can see it slowly trickling from the bottom of where the hose meets the rad but don't see any cracks. The clamp is tight.

Is the only solution a new radiator?

Can this plastic area of the rad be replaced/repaired?
    2001 XC70 125k. New engine at 80k. Second tranny at 120k. xeMODex ETM at 123k. Third tranny at 123k.

Probably and no

(You can always try to JB weld the neck and see what happens. I had a car with that area prior JB welded and it did not leak... at least as long as I had it)!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Might as well try that first. I guess I don't know exactly where to apply it. I can't see any cracks in the plastic.
    2001 XC70 125k. New engine at 80k. Second tranny at 120k. xeMODex ETM at 123k. Third tranny at 123k.

Everywhere and all around around the neck, right up to the hose, 360 degrees
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I'm going to use JB weld tonight on it. What I've researched so far for a successful fix is to:

1. Clean the area well
    2. Scuff the area (wire brush or sand paper)
    3. Apply JB to cold plastic
    4. Let sit at least 24 hours.

At first I thought I should remove the hose and apply it to the neck that goes into the hose as there must be a crack on the bottom of the neck (it's seeping from the bottom, between the hose and the neck). But now I'm wondering if the pressure of the hose clamp will reopen the crack. Maybe I should leave the hose on and apply the weld covering the lip of the hose to the neck of the plastic. Maybe that would seal it better. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by SquareWheels View Post
    Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
    Don't waste your time, replace the radiator. I trust you use this vehicle to reliably get you from place to place (and you just put a transmission in it) - the upper necks/side tanks become very brittle with age and break when you least expect or are able to deal with it. (say on the expressway at night after a couple of beers and you don't happen to notice the low coolant light on!) Next thing you know you are replacing the head gasket (at best) and the radiator.

I've got this same problem...

except the hose flew off the plastic as the plastic got really brittle and crumbled...

the whole tip of the plastic broke off...

it would appear the only reliable solution is to replace the radiator completely? Argh... i remember when these parts were all metal...

i've got a 2001 V70XC

luckily i was able to stop before the car actually overheated...

the roadside repair dude did a test to see of there was a leak in the cylinder head and it was fine...
    Last edited by Instigator; 05-06-2015 at 01:01 AM.
    2001 V70 Cross Country / 1968 Dodge Charger

I just purchased an 06 XC70 and I have figured that I will likely replace the radiator when I am doing the other work to bring it up to par. I had a 95 960 that had the plastic radiator and it snapped one day when lightly bumped. I replaced it with a brass radiator, in hindsight a mistake as it leaked several times during the time I had it. I'd do plastic over a brass one any day based on experience.

yeah ok, i see your point about plastic... pros/cons for either i guess...
    2001 V70 Cross Country / 1968 Dodge Charger