Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2015.5 XC70 navigation system

The navigation does not give traffic condition. If the traffic is dead stop ahead or flowing freely. I live in a capital city, but even so, the system keep telling me the info is not available! Any help out there?

Quote Originally Posted by chiuonthat View Post
    The navigation does not give traffic condition. If the traffic is dead stop ahead or flowing freely. I live in a capital city, but even so, the system keep telling me the info is not available! Any help out there?
    Not sure what year your XC70 was made as you only get Traffic Info FREE for the first 12 months, after that you have to subscribe to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by XCovlov70 View Post
    Not sure what year your XC70 was made as you only get Traffic Info FREE for the first 12 months, after that you have to subscribe to get it.
    It is a 2015.5 model , it should have all the info!

Volvo dealer for warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    Volvo dealer for warranty.
    ssicarman,
    You beat me to it!

Definitely a 'Return to Dealer' case for warranty check and repair!

I had the same problem when I took delivery of my V60 a few weeks ago. I discovered that the RTI is sourced from SiriusXM radio on the 2015.5 Sensus Connect navigation system. You have to activate your Sirius trial subscription, after which you will immediately have the traffic information. Problem is that if you don't renew your Sirius subscription after the first six months, you will no longer receive the traffic information. I have already complained to VCNA about this.
    Current Volvos:
    2015.5 V60 T5 Drive-E FWD Seashell/Beige, Platinum, Front Heat, BLIS, Urbane Wood, 18" Titania Rims
    2015.5 V60 T5 Drive-E FWD Power Blue/Off-Black, Platinum, Front Heat, BLIS

Former Volvos:
    2012 XC70 T6 AWD Twilight Bronze/Espresso-Sandstone; 2012 S60 T5 FWD Saville Grey/Off-Black; 2010 V70 3.2 Seashell/Sandstone; 2008 S40 T5 Orinoco Blue/Quartz; 2007 V50 T5 Barents Blue/Quartz

Quote Originally Posted by volvobuff View Post
    I had the same problem when I took delivery of my V60 a few weeks ago. I discovered that the RTI is sourced from SiriusXM radio on the 2015.5 Sensus Connect navigation system. You have to activate your Sirius trial subscription, after which you will immediately have the traffic information. Problem is that if you don't renew your Sirius subscription after the first six months, you will no longer receive the traffic information. I have already complained to VCNA about this.
    It's like Microsoft Office which you can use for 60 Days and then you have to buy it with an activation code.

As we say on this side of the Pond.....

"There is no such thing as a FREE Lunch"

Based on other matters that I have complained to Volvo Cars about over here, I very much doubt if they will fund this sort of thing for life.

Quote Originally Posted by XCovlov70 View Post
    As we say on this side of the Pond.....

"There is no such thing as a FREE Lunch"
    Yes, indeed, we use the same expression over here in the [former] colonies. Be that as it may, a bit of recent Volvo US history might possibly be of interest to those forums members living on the right side of the pond: from MY 2008, when RTT was introduced on Volvo factory nav systems over here, through MY 2015, which ended just this past May, the RTT info was sourced from a sub-carrier of a local FM radio station. If one drove to another broadcast area, the system would cleverly find and sync to whatever FM station broadcast the traffic info in that area. It worked, it was seamless, and (best of all) it was wholly free of charge. Of course one paid a hefty fee for the factory nav system up front, so in that sense it wasn't exactly free. But it only hurt once.

Fast forward to May of this year and the production of the MY 2015.5 vehicles. Apparently Volvo NA decided that there was substantial additional money to be made by charging owners for such on-going services on a subscription basis and by providing captive clients to third-party providers. So the Internet access in the Sensus Connect-equipped vehicles is locked to an AT&T data plan, which must be paid for after a six-month trial period, and the RTI was locked to SiriusXM satellite radio, which also must be paid for after the same trial period. Undoubtedly a princely sum of money changed hands in the arrangement, although it is not presently clear whether the third-party carriers paid a substantial sum to Volvo for delivering captive clients to them and/or whether Volvo gets a share of the on-going fees charged by those service providers, i.e., a kickback by any other name. And then there is Volvo On Call, their own in-house subscription service for such things as emergency roadside service, remote start, and other such niceties. Yes, that is also fee-based as well after six months.

As usual, VCNA is totally clueless about what royally pisses off their customers. I would be willing to bet a schilling (yes, I know it is obsolete) that most American owners of 2015.5 Volvos will dig in their heels and refuse to be gouged on an on-going monthly basis for these three subscription services. As you may recall, we took some considerable offense at being charged on-going taxes on our tea a few centuries back. The eagerly anticipated revenue stream for Volvo will simply not materialize, and they will have once again have managed to both alienate their customer base and simultaneously shoot themselves in the foot -- or some other bodily appendage. As I said a week ago to the very nice gentleman at Volvo Customer Care when I called to complain about this latest scheme to wring every possible additional dollar from their customers, "the last time this happened to me, I was at least taken out to dinner and a movie first." I gathered that the reference was wholly lost on him...
    Current Volvos:
    2015.5 V60 T5 Drive-E FWD Seashell/Beige, Platinum, Front Heat, BLIS, Urbane Wood, 18" Titania Rims
    2015.5 V60 T5 Drive-E FWD Power Blue/Off-Black, Platinum, Front Heat, BLIS

Former Volvos:
    2012 XC70 T6 AWD Twilight Bronze/Espresso-Sandstone; 2012 S60 T5 FWD Saville Grey/Off-Black; 2010 V70 3.2 Seashell/Sandstone; 2008 S40 T5 Orinoco Blue/Quartz; 2007 V50 T5 Barents Blue/Quartz

Quote Originally Posted by volvobuff View Post
    As usual, VCNA is totally clueless about what royally pisses off their customers. I would be willing to bet a schilling (yes, I know it is obsolete) that most American owners of 2015.5 Volvos will dig in their heels and refuse to be gouged on an on-going monthly basis for these three subscription services. As you may recall, we took some considerable offense at being charged on-going taxes on our tea a few centuries back. The eagerly anticipated revenue stream for Volvo will simply not materialize, and they will have once again have managed to both alienate their customer base and simultaneously shoot themselves in the foot -- or some other bodily appendage. As I said a week ago to the very nice gentleman at Volvo Customer Care when I called to complain about this latest scheme to wring every possible additional dollar from their customers, "the last time this happened to me, I was at least taken out to dinner and a movie first." I gathered that the reference was wholly lost on him...
    On that basis and having found that the GPS/Sat Nav is now an exceedingly expensive and pretty bloody useless 'Option' as you cannot....
    1) Install additional POI's
    2) Insert GPS Co-ordinates in any other format
    2) Have all your Maps installed at the same time (They are on a severely limited DVD memory system)
    3) Program and then install Itineraries from another source for multi stop trips.

I would not bother to buy/request it on a new car order, and go and purchase a stand alone GPS system, which has the following advantages....
    1) More user friendly
    2) Can be removed and moved to your next new purchase
    3) Does NOT cost an arm and a leg to update
    4) Has the capability to hold all your maps in one place (If I want to go across Europe and back again I have to unload the trunk 8 times to insert the correct DVD for the total trip!)
    5) Can accept a variety of GPS Formats ([A}Decimal Degrees. [B]Degrees, Minutes & Seconds [C] Degrees, Decimal Minutes)

I for one would not be including the GPS system as an Option for a new vehicle purchase as I have a GPS System that has been moved across my last 5 Volvo's, and while being more reliable has been far cheaper and easier to use than this pathetic system that whoever designed has never tried to use on a decent trip!

BAH HUMBUG!

Thank you for ALL the info. I'll try to turn on the Sirius and see if the Nav. works. Really I can't believe spending thousands of dollars, the Nav. is just not working like it suppose to without paying MORE money!!

I also found this on the Volvo site: "All new Volvos equipped with SiriusXM® include a 6-month trial subscription to the Sirius All Access package letting you enjoy over 150 channels of commercial-free music, plus sports, news, entertainment and more in your Volvo and on your smartphone/tablet. Volvo Sensus Connect Navigation Systems also include a 4-year subscription to SiriusXM® Traffic & Weather services."

Does it mean it should work once I start the SirusXM services!!! I sure hope so.

Update: 08/25/14

Yes, all system works after I started the XM service, the GPS finally comes to live! Thank you everyone for the input!
    Last edited by chiuonthat; 08-25-2014 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Info update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast