Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tail light position replace with LED

Two years ago, I replaced my tail light position bulb with LED strips. I want the look of the newer generation of XC70 2008+

I order some red LED strips from here http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...light-bar/123/

First of all, I remove some plastic along the side. There is a space between the clear exterior plastic and the inner frame of the tail light, as the green dashes show.

I use a dremel style tool with a blade like the one in the middle of the picture to remove the plastic from the tail light.

I remove the plastic like the yellow dashes in the following picture

I inserted the LED strip and seal it with black silicon to avoid the light going out in the back of the tail light (so in the front direction of the vehicule)

The bulbs that were in use for position lights are now on the breaking circuit so there is more lights when I put break on. My position light are only with the LED.

As you may know, I need to put some resistance(two 5w 47ohms) to avoid a burnt bulb warning in the dash so I made a little plate to connect the resistance and to the position light circuit.

If you look at the diagram, I put the resistances(R1-R2) in parallel with the LED (D1)

Here is the final look!

Closer (The real result is not orange but red as you can see in the first pict):

And a video

Hope you'll like the look!
    Last edited by Mario1975; 01-20-2014 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Change the schema diagram for resistances with the good one

Thumbs up

Awesome!

DYZ
    2005 Volvo XC70, Ash Gold, 210K miles

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

That looks very smart. Well done!
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

That looks fantastic. Does the material removal compromise the integrity of the lamp structure?
    2005 XC70 Ruby Red
    2007 V70R GT 477/Nordkap

I don't think. After removing the groove for the strip, the tail light is still sturdy. For both the upper and lower part.

Nice job! I think it looks really sharp and up to date.

Looks great!

But if this wiring diagram is correct, those resistors aren't doing anything at all....

Nice idea. Any chance of a second video so we can see the combined position light/brake lights/turn in action?

Quote Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
    Looks great!

But if this wiring diagram is correct, those resistors aren't doing anything at all....
    Right! The two resistors are in parallel with each other, in series with the LED. So the continuous portion of the line above R1 should be deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Deneway View Post
    Nice idea. Any chance of a second video so we can see the combined position light/brake lights/turn in action?
    Yes, I think a second video would be very useful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast