Default Front end bearings ?

Hi everyone my xc has only travelled 46,500 kms and I can hear a rumbling humming noise from the front end I suspect that it could be the carrier bearing,
    the noise is there even if I'm going straight and more evident when I turn right, I'm assuming its not the wheel bearings because because of the low mileage what do you guys think.
    This weekend I will be taking the carrier bearing bracket off and see if there is any wear / roughness or noise if I'm able to rotate the bearing.
    If it isn't the carrier bearing then I have look to buy hub bearing can any one suggest on a brand or will I be better of with the genuine Volvo brand ?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

Cheers
    franxc06

Quote Originally Posted by Franxc06 View Post
    Hi everyone my xc has only travelled 46,500 kms and I can hear a rumbling humming noise from the front end I suspect that it could be the carrier bearing,
    the noise is there even if I'm going straight and more evident when I turn right, I'm assuming its not the wheel bearings because because of the low mileage what do you guys think.
    This weekend I will be taking the carrier bearing bracket off and see if there is any wear / roughness or noise if I'm able to rotate the bearing.
    If it isn't the carrier bearing then I have look to buy hub bearing can any one suggest on a brand or will I be better of with the genuine Volvo brand ?

Cheers
    franxc06
    There are many variables.
    The business model at stealership could not be ignored.
    For DIYers, a better choice for front hub assembly is FAG, see here http://www.ipdusa.com/products/6156/...assembly-front
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

You used the term wheel bearing, carrier bearing and hub bearing....to me those all refer to the same bearing which I generically refer to as a wheel bearing. Based on what you said I think it is bad. I think your low mileage is a red herring because, generally speaking, cars like to be driven. Long periods sitting will allow aspects of the bearing to dry out as opposed to lube being continuously circulated through use. Alternatively, mostly city miles, would be hard on bearings because of the increased loads. On top of all that my casual perusal of threads on these boards seems to suggest wheel bearings fail often and frequently in the XCs

If you do it, you may find this useful: http://www.volvo-forums.com/t27042-2...eplacement.htm . According to the previous link, someone did it w/o needing to remove the entire hub as I did.

A PDF version of that exact same thing is available at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...eplacement.pdf to save you from registering on the site.

Thanks Guys, mapper my car is a right hand drive and on my side the driver side the drive shaft is longer then the other side, so to support the extra length of the drive shaft there is a bearing on the shaft which is encased in a
    bracket which is (2 bolts) bolted on the crank case.Hub and carrier (only 1 carrier bearing on the longest drive shaft / axle ) bearings are two different things.
    Anyway this morning I took out the carrier bracket and I did notice some play ( moves about 1/2 mm when you try to twist the bearing on the shaft ) .
    So at the moment that noise I'm hearing is coming from the carrier bearing just an assumption I'll be doing some more testing before changing any bearing / bearings.
    Thanks for all the input.

Cheers
    franxc06

Quote Originally Posted by Franxc06 View Post

Cheers
    franxc06
    I'd bet its a wheel bearing. A wheel bearing can be fairly easily damaged if you hit a pothole, railroad crossing or similar just right. On the other hand, the carrier bearing really lives a pretty easy life. All three of my FWD/AWD Volvos have gone well over 250K kms and I have had no reason to ever suspect a bad carrier bearing. And this is driving around in some pretty rough, salty, sandy road conditions. Also all you have to do is look thru this site and see the number of wheel bearings that have been changed out versus a carrier bearing. As far as the latter, I cannot recall a one being mentioned.

Good luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

More evident on left side when turning right? Wheel bearing.