Default Looking at buying a X/C 90 input please!

Had a 2001 x/c 70. Sold it with 160k on the clock and had no troubles, and I mean none! (Well, except the HVAC controller). Anyway, looking to buy a x/c 90. Don't have the budget for a newer one, so I'm looking at 1st gen. Any input. I'm seeing problems with the T6 tranny? Is this hype or real. FWIW, I have a 2002 Porsche 996. If you believe the hype, the motor is a grenade waiting to happen. In reality its 5-10%. So I'm wondering if the problem is real or internet hype.

Hype is very real, best engine combo ever used in XC90 is 2005-2006 2.5T according to my local Volvo dealer service manager, confirmed by independant Volvo shops around here. That is why I went ahead and got that very model going on 3 years and only a few hundred dollars of repairs.

So even the earlier 2.5 and the v8 can be troublesome? I know the tranny was a weak point on my 2001 v70xc so I regularly flushed it and only used the correct fluid. Never a problem. Really miss her but need more space.

Quote Originally Posted by markwemple View Post
    So even the earlier 2.5 and the v8 can be troublesome? I know the tranny was a weak point on my 2001 v70xc so I regularly flushed it and only used the correct fluid. Never a problem. Really miss her but need more space.
    Cannot really debate the subject, since I am fairly new to Volvo (3 years) and to be honest, I moved from a nightmarish Land rover to Volvo and before making the move, I researched the subject, interviewed the Volvo service manager and phoned a few shops that specialize in Volvo since I was afraid that I would move from a nightmare to another..... Without exception, all were very quick to respond that the 2.5T would be the one they would own for reliability.

I was looking for a newer model and had to go down a few years to buy the recommended model since they stopped using the 2.5T in the XC90 in 2006. Sure enough, I am very pleased with the reliability and only had to spend a few hundred dollars in the last 3 years for exhaust solenoid and PVC hose. The darn Land Rover had me spend $9000.00 in the last 3 years of ownership and most of the repairs we done by me

What's wrong with the 03-04 2.5t?

Quote Originally Posted by markwemple View Post
    What's wrong with the 03-04 2.5t?
    Nothing that I know of, other than the fact that they are older... ?!?