Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    You can put on 01-04 arms and go back to the older style where there are a lot of blade choices
    ^^^^^^WHS
    Could even add aftermarket heated blades too!

-2003 Volvo XC70 AUTO AWD with 110,000mi
    - IPD boost hoses, IPD solid strut tower brace mounts
    -DDM 55w HID headlight upgrade w/5000K bulbs
    -Amsoil ATF, Amsoil ATF in Power Steering
    -Amsoil Gear oil, Amsoil Engine oil and Amsoil nanofiber air filter
    - 1/2 Turn on factory wastegate

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Has anyone figured out some kind of ingenious solution?
    I believe this guy found the answer

Quote Originally Posted by seanm View Post
    bfife: It looks like $19 with shipping.. yes?
    did you install the sure wipe springs on your Volvo or Ford?
    If Volvo - did you order the the Sure Wipe G?
    How did they do today with the snow in Salt Lake?
    Yep $19. I ordered 2 sets, one for each. I haven't installed them on the Ford as its under cover for the winter. Like mapper said we got about 12 inches of snow yesterday
    and I will say, the wipers worked very well. even after going shopping and coming out to ice frozen under the snow the wipers cleared the glass quickly. I do believe I'll shop for a new set of blades just so I'm starting "fresh" so to speak.
    The Surewipes came with a note, "the G springs have been superseeded to a new universal spring." The number is 093 or 21-0417. I think if you just order the G's online you'll be OK. I must add the customer service has been awesome. When I ordered, the paypal jumped right to the "done" screen before I could confirm my ship to address. And seeing as the last time I had purchased anything I was in South Dakota, that's where the springs were going to. I called the 800 number and got a really nice lady that said they were closed but how could she help. After explaining what happened she was able to look up my order and fix it with no hassle. Just a good purchase overall.

Barney

Your wiper arm springs may be worn out, thus unable to force down the entire blade to the window surface. The new wiper blades work great if your arm has enough spring-tension to make them work.

So I am clear - the Superwipes are NOT a new wiper arm - but a set of springs - that install onto your existing wiper arm.
    And you leave your existing arm springs as they are?
    So they are NOT a replacement spring - but a supplemental spring - that adds additional tension to the arm/blade against the windshield..?
    2005 XC-70

A LOT easier just to buy a new wiper arm
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Retail price:
    $18 for a pair of Superwipe springs (incl. shipping) - or $110 (w/o shipping) for a pair of wiper arms (IPD OE)
    IF the add-on springs work - it looks just as easy to install and much less expensive.
    2005 XC-70

Quote Originally Posted by seanm View Post
    So I am clear - the Superwipes are NOT a new wiper arm - but a set of springs - that install onto your existing wiper arm.
    And you leave your existing arm springs as they are?
    So they are NOT a replacement spring - but a supplemental spring - that adds additional tension to the arm/blade against the windshield..?
    that is correct

Have you made sure that the wiper arm pivot is free? If it is siezing due to corrosion it will not let the full pressure of the wiper arm spring come into play. If you pull the wiper arm up it should move up freely and come down freely. If it doesn't lube the pivot up with a penetrating fluid until it is moving freely.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Your wiper arm springs may be worn out, thus unable to force down the entire blade to the window surface. The new wiper blades work great if your arm has enough spring-tension to make them work.
    y blades do work fabulous except when it is cold and snowy. Noticed you were in GA so I'm not sure you have had an issue with those conditions.

My car was originally from So Cal and there isn't a spot of rust on it. The pivots in the arms are free and with all the stopping to bang/clean blades I've done, that pivot has been used plenty.

It just seems odd to me that a car with 75k on it would have worn out wiper arms, sure as hell not going throw a $110 part at it on a whim. May be easier for someone who gets wholesale prices and cheap labor but for us regular blokes throwing parts at a problem is not a rational solution to every issue.

That said, there may be something to because it seems this isn't a common problem. The predictability of the issue kind of made me think folks would be jumping up and down saying, yeah...I know exactly whatcha mean. Looks like I need to experiment a bit on my own.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast