Default Which 2.5t XC90 should I get? 2004 or 2006?

Hi All,
    I am currently looking at some XC90s.
    There are 2 that have caught my eye:

A 2004 (06/03 prod date) - XC90 7 pass - 2.5t with 147000KM (94,000miles) - standard lights - beige leather - folding mirrors - sunroof - heated seats - park assist - It is very clean other than a bit of rear sub frame rust at the bolts. There doesn't seem to be much humidity in the carpets and it looks like it was well maintained - it has good brakes, winter tires on the OEM Volvo 16" wheels, no warning lights or messages and drove well.
    The dealer is kind of flakey though and wont hold it for me to get an inspection. He is selling the car for 8000$ first come first served. There is a carproof report and it say the car had a 2000$ repair done on the rear passenger door. The repair looks clean, and I couldn't tell it had been done.

The other option is a 2006 (02/06 prod date) - XC90 - 5pass - 2.5t with 151000 km - black leather - folding mirrors - sunroof - heated seats - park assist - It has a couple of dings and a 1/2cm rust spot at the driver's door.
    The front brakes will need to be done soon, and it has a warning for Airbags and a dead battery and no winter tires. It is on 18" wheels.
    This dealer is willing to let me get it inspected.
    He wants 9500$ for it.

I can have an inspection performed on either car for around 150$ on THURSDAY.

The dillema now is:
    1) I grab the 04, and get it inspected afterwards since dealer claims he has a lot of interest for the car and won't hold it until thurday.
    2) Schedule the 06 for inspection and risk missing the 04... Is the 2006 worth 1500$ more than the 04?

I am fairly able mechanically - I've swapped engines in a honda and toyota, swapped axles on a jeep, and control arms and cv's on an Audi, etc...
    I intend to drive the Volvo until 300000+ km (180000miles) as long as it isn't too horrible to maintain.

That said, did volvo do many revisions between 2004 and 2006 other than the Haldex update? Is the reliability going to be better with the 06 vs the 04? Is the 06 more electronically sophisticated with more possible failures or is the 04 more at risk due to age?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I ended up getting the 04...

Dealers will say anything to have someone buy yesterday..... I would go with the ones that looks in better shape all around most likely the 04 as per your description..... wether it is 8 or 6 years old, they are both, fairly old vehicles, I mean from 4 years on, a few years won't change much and the way they were maintained is what is important.

If you decide to go with the 06, for around $600 I got excellent slotted and cross drilled rotors with ceramic pads on Ebay.... they look and work awesomely and most importantly, no brake dust and completely silent.

For the year to year changes, sorry I can't help you there.

Gotta say I'm loving the XC90 - got 11.6l/100 (21mpg) on my first trip on the winter tires in Quebec winter. It's quite efficient compared to my V8 Jeep...
    I filled it back up with 87octane gas, and it seems to take the cheap gas well also. I'll use good stuff if I need to tow or haul anything...

Quote Originally Posted by gpny View Post
    Gotta say I'm loving the XC90 - got 11.6l/100 (21mpg) on my first trip on the winter tires in Quebec winter. It's quite efficient compared to my V8 Jeep...
    I filled it back up with 87octane gas, and it seems to take the cheap gas well also. I'll use good stuff if I need to tow or haul anything...
    Hold up... un instant mon ami...... Your 2.5T needs the good stuff all the time..... Do a search before you damage your engine. I went from a Jeep to a Land Rover to this XC90, and you are right that it handles the Quebec winter very well. My wife's vehicle is a Ford Edge, and when we go to Mt-Tremblant, we always take the XC90... makes me feel safer !

Volvo dealer said 87 is OK... putting premium is like throwing money away... check the forums, quite a few people put regular gas in with no issues.

Yes check the forums, they also say they get better power and milage so it is really a wash. You have a premium car and are
    probably being cheap on lower quality fuel.. Doesnt seem to add up does it? Engine was made to run on premium fuel, it has a
    turbo and needs the octane to really take advantage of it. Sure it can run on lower octane, but it retards the timing
    and reduces power output to avoid knocking.

For mixed driving mid-grade is probably fine, but for traveling when the engine is working premium would be the choice.

Again.. Dealer will say anything to make a sale.
    2000 F350, 4x4, Crewcab, 7.3L Turbo Powerstroke Diesel
    2005 XC90 2.5T OSD 06/2005

Exactly my point... When you have a car that is suppose to run on a certain octane fuel, you go with it. For $5.00-$7.00 more per fill-up, it ain't worth taking a chance... Especially when a car it out of waranty !!!! Last thing you need is a self created problem.....