Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

With over 30K on the Nokian WR G2s, they are getting near replacement tread depth (this car eats tires...Yokohamas lasted about the same, as did the Michelins before them).

I think I am going to get the Nokians again, they've been great tires...and meet the speed (H) and load (XL) range of OE...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (130K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (58K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (147K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (247K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (300K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (230K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Hi wheelhouse I got a 2006 XC70 with only 37,000kms on it don't drive much that's why low mileage any way I changed the Pirelli Scorpions after 36kms I found them very good in all situations.
    Any way last week I a set of XC60 17" (17 x 7.5 x 55-offset ) rims with 235 x 60 and there is ample room in the wheel arches , I put the 60s instead of 55s because I want it to see the difference in height and fuel consumption.
    When I get a chance I'll post some pictures with the new rims , before the new rims where put on I done a fuel consumption calculation as follows:

travelled kms = 283.9
    fuel used to top-up = 31.5L
    283.9 / 31.5 = 9.02 kms per L
    11.1L per 100kms ( 25.47 mpg imperial gallons)

This was mainly suburban driving not to bad for a vehicle this size.

I have topped up the fuel tank and will be doing same consumption test with the new 17"

Cheers

I just replaced the second set of Pirelli's on my 01XC with my first set of Nokian WR G2's So far they are great.Much quieter than the Pirelli's.Handle well.And compared to the old worn Pirelli's gas mileage has increased by about 3mpg. These are the OEM size

After two sets of Nokians in snowy Upstate NY I decided to try the new Yokohama Ascends to see if I could get a better ride. So far so good. We haven't had any snow yet but Yokohama rates them high for snow so we'll see.

We've got the Yokohama Ascends on our '04 which replaced the Kumhos that were on it when we bought the car. I've put a set on my '97 850, as well. So far, they compare favorably to Michelin Harmonys and the Kumhos.

I love Nokian WRG2s. With AWD they are great in the snow. Even with 2wd they are excellent in the snow. The big improvements over an all-season tires show in the cornering and braking performance. That's how you avoid crashes so I definitely like that aspect of the tire. Also it was very stable at speed in slush. I tried Dunlop Wintersports once but they were complete garbage in the snow compared to WR/WRG2. Problem is the WRG2 wear pretty quick in summer. Even though you can drive them year round, and I did when living in Western Oregon, I prefer to keep them as winter only. Problem was exacerbated severely when I moved to Utah. The WRG2s really can not stand up to hot summer roads around here. I got 2 years (35k) out of my last set but there were basically bald by the end of the 2nd summer.

I don't know why people dislike the scorpions so much. I thought the Scorpions drove fine in the summer, no winter experience on them. I thought they were loud but now that I put my snow tires on I know the XC just transmits a lot of road noise. I used the same snow tires I had on my Chevy Astro last year (the exact same tires, not just same model). These tires are MUCH, MUCH louder on the XC than they were on the Chevy...which is mind-boggling to me. I expected better noise insulation than a Chevy.

Personally I'm thinking of installing General Grabber AT2 or Michelin LTX m/s2 next summer and rolling them through the winter, both are rather quiet tires for being and AT (Grabber is burly and also severe service rated). If you don't need off-highway durability or excellent snow traction I would definitely stick to touring tires, provided proper speed/load rating.

If you don't have hot summers I'd try the WRG2. For this car I'd probably get the SUV specific version as they might be a bit more durable. Again be sure the load index and speed ratings work. The SUV may only have a T speed rating whereas the car version will definitely be at least an H. I've been through all of this but forget the details on which is best for the XC

Nokian also just released two new tire one is the WRD3 and WRA3 (similar to WRG2). I haven't checked the details but I know every time Nokian does a model iteration the tires MUST be improved by 10% in every way, so it may be worth looking into.
    This is the place I've found the best prices on Nokian Tires and I have usually found local shops will match that price as it is very close to distributor pricing. I used to know a nokian distributor.
    http://www.tiresbyweb.com/m-108-noki...aspx?pagenum=2
    Last edited by mapper; 11-20-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12