Default 99 V70XC won't reverse

Hi all,

My 99 V70XC with 117k is having an issue with reverse -- it simply will not move when "R" is selected. All other forward gears work just fine. I have checked the transmission fluid level (after using the car for 30 minutes) and it's right where the Haynes service manual indicates is normal on the dipstick. Color is pink. I have also tried "rowing" the shifter several times, no luck. The reverse lights do come on when "R" is selected, so I am assuming it is not the PNP switch...

I do not have the dreaded Up arrow lit on the dash, and my OBDII scanner is not throwing any transmission-related codes. As the fluid seems to be okay, would it be pointless to do a flush, or should that be step 1? Is it more likely that I'm headed for a rebuild or replacement? Any advice or theories are much appreciated!
    Last edited by napkXC; 08-05-2012 at 02:51 PM.

That happened to me on a car I bought a couple of years ago, within a week tranny was gone
    Now, I'm not saying yours is that bad or not.

99?
    Go to Volvo and see if there are any stored codes
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)