Default Thinking about getting an XC90

Hey there,

My wife and I are looking at possibly getting an XC90 and we are looking at model years '03 - '05. Can anyone give some insight on which years and models might be good and what to avoid? We don't need AWD, so we are looking at FWD's at this point. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrock View Post
    Hey there,

My wife and I are looking at possibly getting an XC90 and we are looking at model years '03 - '05. Can anyone give some insight on which years and models might be good and what to avoid? We don't need AWD, so we are looking at FWD's at this point. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
    Your choices are very limited, 2.5T is the only 03-05 XC90 that you should go for, it is a 5 cylinder (low pressure turbo) Volvo engine, introduced on their 850 sedan back in the early ninties. Tested for almost 2 decades, no reports of any failure or any problems what so ever.
    Models to avoid are the 03-04 six cylinder T6, plagued with transmission problems and 05-06 V8s. Should you wish to spend a little more, opt for a 08-09 3.2 normaly aspirated 6 cylinder engine a more modern and sophisticated powerplant than that of the 2.5T and equally reliable.
    Whatever you end up choosing, have it fully checked up before, you will never know. A high mileage 2.5T may need new engine mounts and wheel bearings but this common for any SUV.
    Good Luck.

I'm pretty sure the 06 is the last model year for the 2.5t XC90. I believe the 03-04 2.5t XC90s have a lower mileage/longevity rated timing belt compared to the 05-06 - 105,000 mile compared to 120,000 mile. I must say I love my XC90 from the way it drives to working on it (replacing wheel bearings tomorrow.) good luck on your search.

Default xc90 2.5t good car

Exactly reasoning as mentioned by Architect (he is so right on the T6, it only has a 4 gear automatic and they just do not last, the T5 has a 5 gear and never heard a problem) we bought last year for family use a 2003 XC90 2.5T AWD with 90K miles (140K km). Spend 30% of the purchase price on brakes, T-belt, Airco, Parrot carkit with Ipod connection, etc. and it still was relatively inexpensive and it is a great car to drive the family around. We have 3kids 5-8-11 and 1x 3rd row seat up makes it a lot more comfortable for all of us. Also use it for pulling our caravan/trailer of. appr. 3000# (1350kg). Does a great job. The low pressure turbo provides max. torque already from 1500rpm which also makes it easy pulling in the mountains. (yes we got the extra oil cooler). We also use it for going skiing and I had a Webasto parking heater installed. Great feature. I think we use it 15000 miles per year max so unless we wreck it I hope to keep it for another 4-5 years. In short, if you got the resources for decent maintenance it is a great way to drive relatively inexpensive a great car. Only one thing, here in the Netherlands there is a good Volvo garage around every corner. Not neccesary all dealers. A friend of mine in WA (state) his wife has the same XC90 but is +100 miles away from a garage with Volvo expertise. He is not so happy and would not do it again. In general with cars, particularly used cars, it also important WHO you know.