Default Front Strut Failure?

2005 xc70 57k miles.

I searched the forum and got some good info - but I need some clarification...

I just had new link rods and control arm bushings installed (which the dealer did incorrectly at first) See http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20821

Even after the dealer re-installed the CA bushings "correctly" - I noticed I had yet a new different funny (not ha ha) occasional sound and not so smooth ride over bumps.

Just had my tires rotated - the tire shop said it looks like both my Front Struts are leaking and need to be replaced.

From what I have read here - struts last 100K +/- depending on road conditions/driving habit variables..but..Could the dealer's incorrect installation of the front control arm bushings or their link rod install caused (or extremely hastened) the struts to fail? Unbeknownst to me, I drove around about 50 miles on the bad CA bushing install.

And before I go deal with the dealer, I want to know what else ought to replaced at the same time when doing front struts? Springs as well? or just the spring seats? plus..?
    2005 XC-70

No, and many are totally shot at 100K
    55K seems like not many miles, I would make sure they're leaking before replacement but it can happen
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL;/
    I would make sure they're leaking before replacement but it can happen
    A fairly common trick to "enhance business" is to squirt a bit of oil up on the shock rods so that with a few cycles of the struts/shocks it looks like the seals are blown. They then "highly recommend" a strut/shock change which, like brake jobs, is a high profit job. As JRL suggests, verify for yourself that the seals are leaking. Don't take a shop's word for it, especially one that also does strut/shock jobs routinely. As he suggests, 55K is a bit past mid-life for most shocks. I can't recall having any set over the last 30 years with that kind of mileage needing replacement and that is even after driving on some petty dismal roads.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Thanks - I will confirm they are leaking before paying for any replacement. They also may be covered under my vip extended warranty.

(please disregard any duplicate posts that may appear on this topic. Forum was not letting me post last night.)
    2005 XC-70

I would recomend you check the spring seats yourself at the dealer. If there isnt anymore black coating on the bottom of the seat, your in for an annoying clunk driving over bumps .
    Owned: '05 XC70, two T-5Rs, Flashicama S60R, two 850Rs, V70 2.4T, 98 V70 T5

Current: 2007 V70R SaphiKap GT

S60 / V70 INTERIOR / EXTERIOR LED LIGHTING KIT!

That's not the way to check.
    There are two tests, the first is to try to twist the top nut.
    If it turns more than 15-20 degrees it's bad, there should just be a TINY bit of movement, that's it
    The other is to take a large screwdriver, slightly pry up the rubber to see if it's cracked apart
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Pardon my ignorance..

Is the 05 xc 70 "Strut Assembly" (as described for a Sachs) considered the same as a "Strut Housing"?

My vip Totalcare warranty reads it WILL cover:

"MacPherson Strut Housing not including Shock Absorber or Insert"

and specifically WILL NOT cover

"MacPherson strut cartridge insert or shock absorber"
    2005 XC-70

Quote Originally Posted by seanm View Post
    Pardon my ignorance..

Is the 05 xc 70 "Strut Assembly" (as described for a Sachs) considered the same as a "Strut Housing"?

My vip Totalcare warranty reads it WILL cover:

"MacPherson Strut Housing not including Shock Absorber or Insert"

and specifically WILL NOT cover

"MacPherson strut cartridge insert or shock absorber"
    You are not covered for struts then....

Got a second opinion and my local corner garage guy (who I trust) confirmed there was oil leaking on both struts - did not look like a lot.. but it was noticeable. I am not sure if they were just weeping a little or really leaking.

Anyway..I went back to the dealer and told them about the rough ride and leaking struts. (and asked that the tech who put in CA bushings wrong not be assigned to my car). They called and said a CA arm bolt was not torqued tight enough (<<bill99 called this right in my other thread) They also took the brakes apart, cleaned them up and added some sort of lube (or something) to quiet them down. So they did this (for no charge) and said I was ready to go.

"And what about the STRUTS I asked?"
    "Oh..the tech did not check them, with only 57k miles on them they should be fine"
    "Yes.they should be fine - but they may NOT be" - can you please check them as I requested?"

called back 30 minutes later and said yes indeed they were leaking and replaced them - again luckily all covered on my warranty - but they would not cover new upper strut mounts or spring seats as they said they were okay.

So, for anyone reading with a VIP Totalcare Extended Warranty - the Front Struts are covered.

Thanks so much for everyone's input.
    2005 XC-70